rivatuner /w 2010 mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trebuin, May 4, 2010.

1. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

For those who have not been able to get rivatuner working in bootcamp, I have been half way successful. The bottom line is that rivatuner needs to be updated with the MBP's new video cards. The 330 (and I'm assuming the 320) have a special identifier that is not in the program which causes conflicts. As far as I have gotten, I can get the programming tabs, but nothing really works yet.

reference http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=320978

2. ssn637 macrumors 6502

If you could get RivaTuner to work on the 13" MBP 2010 model I'd be very grateful. The NVidia System Tools allow GPU overclocking but I would prefer a 3rd party solution. Unfortunately, there hasn't been an updated version of RivaTuner for quite some time.

3. Trebuin thread starter macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Do me a favor and get gpuz, then run that program and tell me what the chip is (EG GT216) and the full device ID.

4. ssn637 macrumors 6502

Does this help?

Attached Files:

5. Trebuin thread starter macrumors 65816

Trebuin

6. Trebuin thread starter macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Ok, this is just a guess, but rivatuner will tell me if I'm wrong or not. Edit "rivatuner.cfg" and go down to the [GPU_10DE] Block. Add a line at the end, G105 = 8A0h-8AFh

Use tab between G105 and =

Next, you'll see a much of "Alias = ..."
    Add two new lines,
    [GPU_G105]
    Alias = GT300

Again, use the tab

Finally, find "[VEN_10DE]" and add a new line:
    DEV_08A0 = "NVIDIA GeForce 320"

again...the tab.

Save the file and run Rivatuner and let us know what happens. Do a quick underclock and check using GPUz if it actually works. You can also check out the hardware monitor. Both cases it still fails for me, but it's the first step to getting this working.

7. Trebuin thread starter macrumors 65816

Trebuin

woopse, quick correction:
    G105 = 8A0h-8AFh, edited it above.

8. ssn637 macrumors 6502

Should that be VEN_10DE_DEV_08A0 = "NVIDIA GeForce 320" ?

That's how I added it...fit better with the others. The GeForce 320M is recognized, but when I entered the Settings field from the ForceWare detected entry the program didn't distinguish between 3D Low and 3D Power frequencies: both were 450 / 810, although the 3D power frequencies should be 450 /950 as far as I know. Changing either the clock or shader frequency also had no effect as verified by GPU-Z.

Attached Files:

9. Trebuin thread starter macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Well, yours is actually a G115 card as displayed, thanks, and adding the Ven line never made a difference on mine. Now that we have the correct chip names for rivatuner, we have to wait for the next release :(

10. ssn637 macrumors 6502

RivaTuner seems to have been replaced by MSI AfterBurner; at least the same developer is supporting the new utility and it's updated regularly. I found it at Guru3D.com and gave it a try...the latest version seems to be working, as verified with GPU-Z, but I haven't really played with it much yet.

You might want to give it a try and let me know what you think. And if you can help me overclock my CPU I'd be grateful...

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-1.6.0-Beta-5_d2510.html

11. Trebuin thread starter macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Thanks for letting me know. It's been a while since I've been a part of that program so I'll check out msi afterburner.