Rivets removal tool (rMBP & MBA keyboards)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tubeexperience, Jul 18, 2016.

1. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I have a lot of people bringing to me MacBook Pro Retinas/MacBook Airs that has non-functioning keyboards (usually after liquid spills).

Anyway, it's a pain to replace the keyboards on these models because once I remove the keyboards, a lot of rivets get left behind and I have to spend exorbitant amount of time removing them with needle-nose pliers.

Has anyone found a tool more suitable for this task?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

We typically drill them out, although I don't know if this is possible on a MBP.

3. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

That sounds terrible.

How do you know the holes will align with the keyboard or even be the right size holes?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The drill bit used is slightly smaller than the size of the hole and it's simply to remove the flange of the the rivet so it's easy to remove.

Like I said, it's what I've always done but I don't know if it's possible on a MBP.

5. jerryk macrumors 68020

Drilling out rivets is pretty common. I have done it on motorcycles and airplanes. If you have the right sized bit it is quick and easy.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the tight tolerances of the laptop, it would be a tricky operation.

7. jerryk macrumors 68020

Just have to be careful. If you are off a little bit on an airplane wing they leak fuel or crack, neither of which has a good outcome.