Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamish.b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2016
Hi all

New poster. I have a base 2015 rMacBook and wanted to ask, does the rMacBook 2016 feel faster and 'zipper' in real world usage? I understand the geekbench/benchmarks scores are like 10% better on the 2016 model, but I've also read reviews where reviewrs say the 2016 model feels faster in day to day usage than the 2015 model.

Could this be down to the fact that they're using a brand new machine with a fresh OS instalation, or is the 2016 model notceibaly faster in day to day tasks?

Thanks all

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Hi all

New poster. I have a base 2015 rMacBook and wanted to ask, does the rMacBook 2016 feel faster and 'zipper' in real world usage? I understand the geekbench/benchmarks scores are like 10% better on the 2016 model, but I've also read reviews where reviewrs say the 2016 model feels faster in day to day usage than the 2015 model.

Could this be down to the fact that they're using a brand new machine with a fresh OS instalation, or is the 2016 model notceibaly faster in day to day tasks?

Thanks all

Coming from the 2015 to 2016, I am not finding a night and day difference, but I am finding noticeable improvements in app load times, and particularly when rendering videos, and doing higher processor intensive tasks. The updated SSD and RAM made this machine what it should had been all along :)

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I currently have both. Side by side tests reveal the only significant difference is the keyboard. The new one is about 30% less noisy. That's worth it for my purposes.

Reactions: lite426

hamish.b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2016
Coming from the 2015 to 2016, I am not finding a night and day difference, but I am finding noticeable improvements in app load times, and particularly when rendering videos, and doing higher processor intensive tasks. The updated SSD and RAM made this machine what it should had been all along :)

I currently have both. Side by side tests reveal the only significant difference is the keyboard. The new one is about 30% less noisy. That's worth it for my purposes.

Thank you. So you think there isn't much of a difference between the 2015 and 2016 apart from some app loading times and video-editing? How about general tasks like browsing, word/powerpoint etc?

And thank you about the keyboard, I wasn't even aware there was a difference!

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Thank you. So you think there isn't much of a difference between the 2015 and 2016 apart from some app loading times and video-editing? How about general tasks like browsing, word/powerpoint etc?

And thank you about the keyboard, I wasn't even aware there was a difference!
Although I am very Pro-Apple when it comes to laptop's, and own every current model, I report my experiences carefully and accurately. Never exaggerated.

That said, it is important to mention most everything I do is resource intense, moderate to heavy work and personal computing that taxes the system. A lot of personal work is video editing. While it can be done on the MBr, I greatly prefer to use either my 13" or 15" MBPr.

Speed of overall use, smooth transitions and speed of daily tasks is so close to the same between last year's and this year's MBr it's of little consequence.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Speed of overall use, smooth transitions and speed of daily tasks is so close to the same between last year's and this year's MBr it's of little consequence.

This is why I'm not going to upgrade my 2015 RMB until Apple does something significant. Like make it lighter, add an HD cam, remove ports, etc.

BJ

hamish.b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2016
Although I am very Pro-Apple when it comes to laptop's, and own every current model, I report my experiences carefully and accurately. Never exaggerated.

That said, it is important to mention most everything I do is resource intense, moderate to heavy work and personal computing that taxes the system. A lot of personal work is video editing. While it can be done on the MBr, I greatly prefer to use either my 13" or 15" MBPr.

This is why I'm not going to upgrade my 2015 RMB until Apple does something significant. Like make it lighter, add an HD cam, remove ports, etc.

BJ

Thanks. Any idea why the reviews are saying that the 2016 feels faster than the 2015 then? What tasks have they noticed these speed differences in?

I'm waiting for an anandtech review as that's teh only site which really does an indepth review. Other sites hardly touch on improtant subjects.

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013

Wow, this is interesting. A keyboard noise reduction would be a very welcome upgrade for me. I hadn't seen that mentioned in reviews so thanks for mentioning that. Is it the same across all 2016s or maybe you just got lucky?

Biggie Robs

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2007
Jamaica Plain, MA
Wow, this is interesting. A keyboard noise reduction would be a very welcome upgrade for me. I hadn't seen that mentioned in reviews so thanks for mentioning that. Is it the same across all 2016s or maybe you just got lucky?

There is no difference between the keyboards, 2015 vs. 2016.

It's an awesome keyboard, full stop.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
You do realise we only have 1 USB-C port as it is?

Headphone jack. Could reduce weight and thickness.

BJ
[doublepost=1463450038][/doublepost]
Thanks. Any idea why the reviews are saying that the 2016 feels faster than the 2015 then? What tasks have they noticed these speed differences in?

If it's 10% faster and it takes 0.9 seconds to launch Safari, you definitely get a 0.09 second savings.

But you can't feel 1/10th of an eyeblink.

So it doesn't matter.

BJ

Last edited:

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Three others at work bought the latest 2016 model after being very disappointed in the noisy keyboard of the original.

In typical Apple fashion they did what's generally known as a "silent upgrade" a practice they've been doing for years. We're happy they did. All four of these latest models are significantly less noisy than the ones they replaced.

Mine sees lots of use as a travel laptop, frequently in environments where I'd refrain from using the early model due to the unwanted attention it drew.

Reactions: lite426

Biggie Robs

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2007
Jamaica Plain, MA
Three others at work bought the latest 2016 model after being very disappointed in the noisy keyboard of the original.

In typical Apple fashion they did what's generally known as a "silent upgrade" a practice they've been doing for years. We're happy they did. All four of these latest models are significantly less noisy than the ones they replaced.

Mine sees lots of use as a travel laptop, frequently in environments where I'd refrain from using the early model due to the unwanted attention it drew.

I had a 2015 for ten days before exchanging it for a 2016 after the update. There is no difference in the keyboards. None.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.