Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Yes, I know, the MacBook Pro would be a better machine for this but...

80% of the time, the machine would be used for writing/web and the fanless design really appeals to me.
I have an ACD with MiniDisplay Port. Is there a way to connect this to the rMacBook today? What cables would be needed? Would it be possible to charge the Macbook at the same time?

Has anyone edited 4k video on this machine connected to an external monitor? It doesn't have to be super fast, just feasible...

freitz

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015
Ellicott City MD
Yes, I know, the MacBook Pro would be a better machine for this but...

80% of the time, the machine would be used for writing/web and the fanless design really appeals to me.
I have an ACD with MiniDisplay Port. Is there a way to connect this to the rMacBook today? What cables would be needed? Would it be possible to charge the Macbook at the same time?

Has anyone edited 4k video on this machine connected to an external monitor? It doesn't have to be super fast, just feasible...

There are a few reviews on you tube that talk about 4k video editing. Generally it struggles a little bit. Not sure if I remember anyone on the forums talking about it.

Reactions: InfiniteLoopy

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Connecting to the ACD should be no problem. You will need the Apple digital adapter which is HDMI, and an HDMI to Mini Displayport cable.

The big question is how it will do with editing video. I personally don't do this, so hopefully someone who has tried or has some experience can chime in.

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Connecting to the ACD should be no problem. You will need the Apple digital adapter which is HDMI, and an HDMI to Mini Displayport cable.

The big question is how it will do with editing video. I personally don't do this, so hopefully someone who has tried or has some experience can chime in.

This, your reply to my other thread, and your excellent review of the rMB are making me now consider it. Are you sure that using Apple's connector and an adapter, I can get native resolution on the ACD? Presumably, Apple's adapter will allow charging while it's connected too...?
------
I'd really be interested in some views about editing 4K video. I don't actually mean editing it while it displays 4k, but editing at a lower resolution, but potentially playing back at 4K. Can this MacBook do that?

I've seen people complain that it doesn't do 60hz at 4k. Does this matter for anything other than gaming?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Thanks for the kind words.

Just to make sure, can you confirm what the model of your ACD is? Then we can verify whether it will work.

Yes, the adapter allows charging while connected to a display.

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Thanks for the kind words.

Just to make sure, can you confirm what the model of your ACD is? Then we can verify whether it will work.

Yes, the adapter allows charging while connected to a display.

Don't worry, I'm not rushing out to buy it. Yet. :)
It's the 27" one pre-TB. The one with the three cables (USB, power, Mini DisplayPort).

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
So like this? http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...erbolt-apple-led-cinema-display-27-flat-panel

At 2560x1440 the rMB will have no trouble driving that. The trouble is that it appears to have a fixed cable with the mini-displayport connection, and there are no widely available or trustworthy adapters right now for usb-c using mini-displayport. It looks like you might be able to convert that mini displayport to HDMI with a series of adapters (conversion between these two is usually not an issue) but in this case it takes enough adapters that it could certainly pose a problem. See here for someone who claims to have made it work. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5535370

The rMB will drive a 4k display at up to 30hz which is a problem for anyone who wants to drive a 4k display as 30hz is slow enough to see stutter even when scrolling a web page. Not an issue for driving your display, however.

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Thanks. That's the display.

So if I understand correctly, my current display would work fine, but a potential future 4K one would not work as it's not 60hz. :(
Which adaptors would I need to connect my current display if I wanted to go that route?
Is this a software or hardware issue?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Check the second link from my above post. Technically the rMB can drive that display, but because it has a fixed mini-displayport cable, you need some unusual converters to make it work, and any time you need unusual converters, there is the potential for a problem. If your ACD just had a mini-displayport jack on the back of the monitor like most of them, you would just buy a mini-displayport to hdmi cable and be good to go.

A future 4k monitor would work, but at a lower refresh rate of 30hz which may or may not be acceptable.

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
It doesn't seem as straightforward then just to connect my existing screen to a potential MacBook. The thread you linked to wasn't specifically about this MacBook and didn't end conclusively.
If, today, I can't connect it to my screen, it may not yet be for me, regrettably.

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
I wonder if one of these docks/hubs on Kickstarter could at least solve the issue for my existing screen. The Hub+ for example says that it works... Are any actually shipping that would do this today?
Of course, this doesn't solve the 4K issue, but I guess I could playback 4K footage (24p or 30p) without a problem, and edit at a lower resolution so that the interface is smooth... right?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
There is some significant question as to the information being presented about some of the products being marketed on Kickstarter. There is some conversation about it on the the USB-C Super Sticky Thread - in short - it seems like the HDMI port used on the Apple adapter is there because it is capable of carrying a higher resolution than the displayport output (which is limited to 2560x1440). Anyone claiming different is likely misleading potential customers.

Still, 2560x1440 would be perfect for you - now it'd just be a question as to whether you can actually get your hands on one.

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Thanks. I think I'll hold off for now and see how the situation of the connections to screens work. Or maybe I'll just wait for v2. I'm definitely interested in the MacBook form factor and size/weight tough.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
Resurrecting and old thread. To get this to work a hdmi to Mini DisplayPort cable is needed and the
USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.