Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Am I just being a princess, or do other people find the rMB to be uncomfortable to use on their lap? It has sharp edges that seem to dig into my leg. And because it's so small, they can dig into my hands, too, when I rest them on the surface.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Am I just being a princess, or do other people find the rMB to be uncomfortable to use on their lap? It has sharp edges that seem to dig into my leg. And because it's so small, they can dig into my hands, too, when I rest them on the surface.

Yes and watch out for that pea under your mattress :)

If you really want to cut yourself you should try some of the carbon fibre laptops however if it really bothers you put a speck or similar case on your rMB

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
I agree, it is uncomfortable. This is the type of thing you'd never see talked about in reviews, but you actually notice in day to day use above all the other stuff like speed, etc. I never thought a lighter laptop would be less comfortable but there you go. For me though another issue is trying to make it sit flat, if I balance it on my lap it's usually tilted one way.

Reactions: hufflematt

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I agree, it is uncomfortable. This is the type of thing you'd never see talked about in reviews, but you actually notice in day to day use above all the other stuff like speed, etc. I never thought a lighter laptop would be less comfortable but there you go. For me though another issue is trying to make it sit flat, if I balance it on my lap it's usually tilted one way.

Yes, I've found that: it doesn't actually balance all that well.

It's not actually a very good laptop.

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Yes, I've found that: it doesn't actually balance all that well.

It's not actually a very good laptop.
First of all, its a notebook, not a laptop. Second, you should take it to the genius bar and see if they can fix it.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I've used this with my last few Mac laptops, and now with my new Macbook 12. It works great with the Macbook- about an inch wider on both sides so it's more steady on your lap and easier to hold. It also raises the top edge enough for easier viewing and typing. It's by Allsop- called the Cool Channel. Bought mine at Staples years ago, but Amazon has them. 34-991-016-07.jpg

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
the terms are pretty much interchangeable. the only laptop i truly use on my lap is a g4 12" ibook. it just feels more rugged than my macbooks. maybe because it hasn't led as sheltered a life as my macbooks. maybe because i don't mind the slowness because when the computer's working i'm looking at the tv set.

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
Didnt you say in the past that you gave up on your rmb for a variety of reasons? So why are you now cimplaining that it wont fit on your lap?

Reactions: Jayderek

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Does it really matter if you call it a laptop or a notebook??

Yes.

A laptop implies that some actually use it on their laps instead of on a piece of furniture like civilized people. It's like going to dinner at a nice restaurant and using your hands to eat chicken or picking up the bowl and sipping the soup. As a world-traveling executive with two homes and two BMW's, I wouldn't be caught dead with a laptop.

BJ

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
Yes.

A laptop implies that some actually use it on their laps instead of on a piece of furniture like civilized people. It's like going to dinner at a nice restaurant and using your hands to eat chicken or picking up the bowl and sipping the soup. As a world-traveling executive with two homes and two BMW's, I wouldn't be caught dead with a laptop.

BJ

mr. bolt, sometimes i just love your posts. this was a particularly fine one. keep up the good work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.