rMB 1.1 vs 1.2

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pudcraft, Apr 5, 2015.

  1. pudcraft macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2013
    #1
    Hey all. Looking to buy the rMB this week. I'm struggling on deciding which CPU speed to go with. Do you suspect a huge difference between the options of 1.1 vs 1.2? Would one consider it worth the cost or better put to larger storage?

    Thanks!
     
  2. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2010
    #2
    I think if you go with the 1.2GHz option, you may have no choice but to get the 512GB storage.
     
  3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #3
    I think you might be able to upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2 as a BTO.
     
  4. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

    AppleWarMachine

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2011
    Location:
    Michigan, US
    #4
    You can only go from 1.1 to 1.3 on the base model
    Or from 1.2 to 1.3 on the high end model
     
  5. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

    kingofwale

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2010
    #5
    i was told single core performance is 19xx vs 25xx. so that's 20% faster. if that's the case, i will be getting the 1.2
     
  6. danielwerner macrumors regular

    danielwerner

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2012
    Location:
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #6
    According to geekbench there is about a 20% difference between 1,1 and 1,2. And there's a 50% difference between 1,1 and 1,3.
     
  7. pudcraft thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2013
    #7
    Seems like the best method to go for performance per dollar would be get the 1.2 with more storage then.
     
  8. lulla01 macrumors 68020

    lulla01

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2007
    Location:
    U.S
    #8
    I didn't realize how significant of a performance increase the extra .1 ghz makes in benchmarks.

    Now I think the higher 1.2 with 512 may be the best bang for buck option
     
  9. KrisLord macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2008
    Location:
    Northumberland, UK
    #9

    The difference seems too big doesn't it? I wonder if one of the benchmarks was a 32bit score and the other a 64bit? That's assuming both are genuine.
     
  10. pudcraft thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2013
    #10
    I think best mix would be: 1.2ghz & 256gb

    At least for my usage on this thing when it comes to dollar per performance/hardware.
     
  11. newellj macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2014
    Location:
    Boston, MA, US
    #11
    That option looks like it will not be offered. Currently, the only upgrade to the 1.1/256 is a CPU upgrade to 1.3 gHz.
     
  12. Souli macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2010
    #12
    the thing is that it isn't only 0.1 Ghz but also increased Turbo Boost.
    1.1 -> 2.4
    1.2 -> 2.6
    1.3 -> 2.9

    But we just have to wait a few more days for the actual answer to that question.
     
  13. 3bs macrumors 603

    3bs

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #13
    Are you sure about this? I think I'll be going for the 1.3 if that's the case or even close to that.
     
  14. keviig macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2012
    #14
    Do you have a source on this? On the rMBP you can choose all 3 processors at any storage level.
     
  15. squirrrl, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015

    squirrrl macrumors 6502a

    squirrrl

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2013
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #15
    Yes... it's on the apple page with the macbooks. I'd say that's a pretty good source.

    See under processor: http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs/

    there's 2 models 256/1.1GHz and 512/1.2GHz

    Under each, they say it is upgradable to 1.3GHz but no price is listed with it.
     
  16. 3bs macrumors 603

    3bs

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #16
    You can upgrade whatever you want, you just might need to get it BTO.
     
  17. danielwerner macrumors regular

    danielwerner

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2012
    Location:
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #17
    I could be mistaken. But according to this post this is the case:

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=20931307&postcount=6

    Though, someone said he is comparing 32 bit with 64 bit, but that still wouldn't be too much of a difference in the scores.
     
  18. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

    squirrrl

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2013
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #18
    I don't think that is the case at all but we'll see on friday. Everywhere I look, including the keynote, you can only upgrade to 1.3 in either model, not 1.1 to 1.2.
     
  19. newellj macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2014
    Location:
    Boston, MA, US
    #19
    It's all that's currently listed on the Apple Store web site. The 1.1/256 can be CTO'd to 1.3/256, the 1.2/512 can be CTO'd to 1.3/512.

    Edit the post below is correct as of today.

     
  20. 3bs macrumors 603

    3bs

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #20
    Have you guys ever gotten a BTO? When you are finalising it they let you pick whatever upgrades or downgrades you want as bulletpoints in a list of all the options. Forget what they have on the website now, you'll see this when you're actually in the final steps of buying it online. Something like this. Of course they don't list all the possible configurations on the tech specs page.
     

    Attached Files:

  21. newellj macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2014
    Location:
    Boston, MA, US
    #21
    I'm very familiar with that. What's on the website right now is what you were advised. It's possible that Apple will change that in the future, possibly as early as Friday morning, but right now it looks like they've thought about it and are offering a total of four options. The current Apple Store page clearly shows _someone's_ idea of the CTO options. It's not just a tech specs list.
     
  22. 3bs macrumors 603

    3bs

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #22
    It wouldn't make sense if they're allowing you to custom build what you want to then limit your options. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
     
  23. newellj macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2014
    Location:
    Boston, MA, US
    #23
    Definitely agree on that. Without trying to be argumentative, it wouldn't surprise me if they had really limited options on this one. There is no 4GB RAM option to upgrade and apparently they're not going to offer 16GB. Similarly, there's no 128GB SSD. And the 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 gHz CPUs are a lot closer together than is usual with the MBAs and rMBPs. So it seems plausible - but like everything else with this one, only time will tell. :)
     
  24. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #24
    It makes perfect sense, IMO.
     
  25. 3bs macrumors 603

    3bs

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #25
    How does it make sense? It's kinda like an oxymoron or something similar. Custom built to order then go limit what you can custom build?

    ----------

    It doesn't really affect me since I'm getting the maxed out but yeah time will tell. Can't wait for Friday :)
     

Share This Page