rMB 13 and coffee

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wojnest, Mar 6, 2016.

1. wojnest macrumors newbie

I spilled some plain coffee on my MacBook. Of course I did everything what I should.

After about 48h I turned it on and everything is ok but I'm not sure if I should clean this MacBook inside.

So?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You spilled something on it, of course you should clean it.

3. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Nah! You computer will clean itself of the coffee.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Good luck - whatever happens now is a bit of a lottery and/or will cost $$$

Cleaning could cause issues, especially if not done professionally ($$$), NOT cleaning will also probably cause issues down the line as corrosion kicks in ($$$)

5. wojnest thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys, for me there is no huge difference beetween common dust and dry coffee on the motherboard.

On the other hand from my experience - Macs are quite resistant for liquids. Of course when one dries it for min. 48 H.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

regarding corrosion, dust or liquids are quite different...

7. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Not sure how you should clean it, but you can always have a look to see what you can do. In my experience (Ice Tea, 2010 15" MBP), the motherboard could still be clean.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, especially if your coffee has cream, sugar in it, as that may very well increase the likelihood of corrosion. To be safe, clean the internals.

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Better if you have it cleaned professionally, equally it may run without issue for many years. Much depends on how much value you place the notebook. Personally as long as my data was safe I wouldn't be overly concerned as long as the system runs as expected, equally I don't keep my Mac`s for long periods generally gifting them to family etc.

Q-6

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you spilled coffee on yourself and asked us if you should clean it, then your opinion about the differences of dried coffee and common dust would be more valid.

Since you spilled it on your Mac and the coffee (along with any of the additional things that people add to coffee) is probably eating away at the logic board right now. Common dust won't do that.