rMB 15 or 16?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wd417, Nov 4, 2015.

1. wd417 macrumors newbie

Hey folks, bit of a noob here, so I apologize in advance if this was posted wrong or in the wrong spot. Wanted to get y'alls take on this. So I currently have a 2012 MBP (non-retina), got a new job back in the spring and instead of using the old tower PCs here at the office, use my MBP and plug into a 2nd monitor for 2 screens, things have worked well but for the past month had a ton of issues with performance of the computer. Went and got it checked out, was told to upgrade my RAM and did that and it basically killed my computer, took it back to the store and they investigated all day yesterday and finally said the top logic board is fried and it will be over $400 to replace that. In the mean time the computer works decently now with just 4 GB card in the bottom slot although this is not recommended by Apple and not a long term solution. It doesn't make economic sense to me to replace the logic board when the machine itself value wise is probably worth less than the $400+ repair costs. Really lucked out at work because the company decided to switch over everyone to Macs and so I was given a new MBP to use at the office so no longer need to use my own for work. The effect of this is I no longer have a lot of needs as far as computing power/abilities.

I will need to replace my 2012 MBP at some point so I've been looking into the Macbook line. It has most everything I want, light weight, decent enough battery (my 2012 for comparison sake gets 2-2.5 hours out of a full charge so MB battery "only lasting 8-9 hours is not a big deal for me), retina screen, etc. As far as needs go, I would use the machine for internet browsing/emails, Microsoft Office- Word/Excel/One Note, iTunes/Spotify, streaming video when I am not home, a personal computer basically. I do not do any thing too intensive on the computer like HD video or video editing or play ultra high-res games. Additionally, the USB-C being the sole port will not be a problem at all since this will be for personal use and not for work now. I really think a new rMB will be the way to go.

Sorry for the rambling, so my question is this: there is not a big rush out to replace my 2012 tomorrow, it will work passably for the time being and my work computer will handle the majority of tasks. What in y'alls opinion would make more sense- buy the 2015 rMB sometime in the near future or wait for the new models in 2016? The new processors sound great, but again, I don't plan on doing anything too intensive with the machine. Afraid I am just a stereotypical fickle consumer but unsure of what I may miss out on by not waiting for the 2016 models (new 5K screen or whatever thats not already in the 2015 version).

2. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Sounds like you don't need a new machine ASAP. If you can wait until next March or April, it might be worth it to see what kind of updates Apple gives the MB.

3. wd417 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea thats a good point, thanks for the response. Between my work MBP and my old one I should be able to get by. I am admittedly new to following Mac news. Last time around buying a MBP in 2012, there wasn't much consideration as far as do I get it now or wait around, needed it for school ASAP, so there wasn't too much research other than I knew I wanted to go with a Mac as I had used IBM/Lenovo in undergrad and they were very poor by comparison. Obviously the new updated version 2 is expected early next year, but traditionally how far in advance do details begin to get out as far as new features/specs? I've seen that v2 is expected to have the new Skywell processor already for example

4. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

5. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

You need to travel more often. :p

6. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Apple never releases news about future products; they just announce it when it's ready to go on sale. The only exception to this is when they presented the new Mac Pro a couple years ago about 6 months before it went on sale, but they did that at WWDC, a crowd that has lots of Mac Pros, and the Pro hadn't seen any updates for a couple years. That's why you see so much speculation on these forums (about Apple products in general).