rMB and Dell USB-C Monitors

imoxja

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Alabama
Has anyone managed to get a display signal to go from the MacBook to the monitor via just a USB-C cable hooked up to the Dell displays? I bought a monitor on eBay without the original cables; I initially tried (which I figured wouldn't work) the original MacBook cable, then I ordered what I thought I needed from eBay and waited a week (USB 3 cable) and then I ordered another cable and waited a week (USB 3.1 cable). I'm starting to think either the dell cables are magic or this monitor just does not work with Apple things because I also tried my iPad Pro and it didn't do anything either. The 3.1 cable will charge it and if I connect other USB stuff to the monitor it can see it, but no video whatsoever. So basically, has anyone gotten any kind of display signal to come out of the rMB with a USB-C Dell monitor?

ruslan120

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
The cable the comes with the Macbook Pro is for charging only. ( :( )

Sounds like you tried out another cable and not sure what the problem was there. I've had no problems connecting an HP monitor via USB C and via USB C to Thunderbolt Dock to Macbook.

Setup (starting at 01:53):

imoxja

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Alabama
Yeah, I've seen them work with the MacBook Pro like in your video, I'm just curious as to if Dell monitors work with the 12" MacBook. I've yet to see anything referencing them. I'm starting to think the Dell monitors use a different way of doing video than others. Possibly MST, which Macs don't support.

Reactions: ruslan120

ruslan120

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah, I've seen them work with the MacBook Pro like in your video, I'm just curious as to if Dell monitors work with the 12" MacBook. I've yet to see anything referencing them. I'm starting to think the Dell monitors use a different way of doing video than others. Possibly MST, which Macs don't support.
I missed the point (about this being directed at Dell monitors). Thought it was about USB C. My apologies.

imoxja

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Alabama
In a way it was, but the MacBook Pros have thunderbolt, as where the 12" does not. I was wondering if there was some kind of limitation to the 12" port as well as possibly a limitation for dell monitors as well.

imoxja

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Alabama
Update if anyone cares. So I got a P2219HC which is a 1080p USB C Dell monitor, it works with the 12" MacBook. I'm guessing it has something to do with the limited bandwidth through the 12" port. 1080p works fine, but the 1440p monitor I had I guess required too much speed.