rMB and iOS - Why not?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Maven1975, May 7, 2015.

1. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

I think Apple is missing a huge opportunity here.

Please enlighten me as to why there is not cross compatible code between OS X and iOS. Developers could make a killing if they could sell their app in both stores.

If its x86 having and issue with Arm, why not put both chips on the logic board?

IMO, the rMB would benefit like crazy if it had access to the iOS app store. The trackpad is large enough these days to manipulate gestures needed. If not for just games alone, this would be killer for users and developers.

OR....

Lightning to USB/USB-C and run the code off the phone.

What do you guys think?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It'd increase costs and I doubt the people that would use it are in the majority.

Apps designed for touchscreen don't always translate well to other input methods.

3. Maven1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, I get that.

However, take Gameloft for instance. They are one of the biggest developers on iOS. Most, if not all of their games could be controlled effortlessly with KB/Trackpad/Mouse.

Trackpad movements could be shown onscreen with cursor for touch games or applications.

I just don't understand the lack of development/convergence in this area. I think if you told iPhone users they could run the same apps on a Mac that they have on their iPhone, Apple would push a lot more units.

Im sure Intel would have issues with having an Arm chip on their board. Perhaps that one hurdle that makes it DOA.

Or..

Apple knows OSX is going Arm and is just milking Intel for al they can until OSX is ready for the jump.

Just spitballing here...

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If they do that, I and others would walk away from the platform then. Why do you say apple is going to ARM? I know there's been some threads on this, and the end result is a large group of respondents threaten to leave the Macs, another large segment affirm there desire to stay and say it will be an improvement.

5. mikeray macrumors regular

The success of ARM has only pressured Intel to step up their game. We have enjoyed great strides in power efficiency and die shrinking in the past few years with Intel chips thanks to pressure from ARM's success. Is Apple going to abandon Intel in favor of ARM for OS X? nope.

6. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

It is possible in a few years time. Sources have said that OS X is running on ARM processors deep in Apple's lab just like it ran on Intel processors for 5 years before the switch to Intel.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

There is.
    Many of them do. Good written code can be quickly ported between the two platforms.

It is by no means that easy.
    I don't. The input methods are vastly different and would still require an on-screen pointer when using trackpad making it no different than how it is now.

Can you give an example of how that would in any way be logical? I don't get the concept.

8. Maven1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think we could see a shift.

Arm in MacBooks with x86 remaning in MacBook Pros.

Windows is becoming more irrelevant, not that OSX is more relevant. Im just stating that a huge chunk of users now use their computer for light tasks. (Cloud and Web based tasks)

Having a rMB with a Arm chip, running OSX/iOS (Whatever they would call it) that has games and apps being dropped weekly would be a huge sale for those users.

Lets go a little further, Apple could put a retina screen in the trackpad similar to what Razer did with their Blade laptops.

I know several people that use their iOS/Android devices for 90% of their needs. This is not a far stretch to think Apple would make the switch.

OR....

Apple could create a swift code for x86/arm. This would be the easiest solution for all.

Hell, look at Microsoft. They are doing exactly what Palm did before the Pre died.(I left the iPhone for the Pre - Freaking loved it) Making code and API for developers to port their iOS/Android apps with little effort.

9. Maven1975, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015

Maven1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Mac App Store is not lucrative. There was a pathetic story on the main page today of MR. http://www.macrumors.com/2015/05/07/redacted-mac-app-profits/

Plug the device into the computer, and have the device (Phone connected) be the host. It would work like screen mirroring, except the device would work without lag and at full resolution.

10. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I am still not sure why you would expect sales to boom from having a hybrid device?
    I still don't see the purpose of this.

11. saifrc macrumors member

So that Apple could recreate the unbridled success of these historical gems:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Foleo

http://www.engadget.com/products/motorola/atrix-4g-lapdock/

http://www.asus.com/us/Phones/PadFone_Products/

/sarcasm

Seriously though, Microsoft came the closest so far. By having a split-personality OS that can run "apps" as well as "applications", they came closest to a converged device ecosystem that actually functioned. However, they lost a lot of credibility with the fiasco that was the Surface RT, Windows 8.0, etc.

"Wait, this runs apps, and it runs Office, but it won't run my old programs? But it runs Office? And this other tablet will run my programs, as well as Office and other apps? But it costs twice as much? And which one will run my phone apps? Neither of them, yet, but wait a few versions and it will?"

Frankly, I'm interested to see how Windows 10 runs on a Surface Pro 3. But for now, I'm very happy with my gold 1.2/512 MacBook, which is "just" a laptop--but the best possible laptop for me!

(And for many of the apps that I've come to know and love on the iPhone and iPad, I've since bought the corresponding Mac version as well. They're not identical, and both are worth having, so I have no problem paying a fair price in those cases--I don't just want the phone version blown up to a bigger screen.)