rMB Architecture work load

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Enmanuel, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Enmanuel, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015

Enmanuel macrumors regular

Enmanuel

I didn't find another thread to post this in and not go very much off topic so im posting this bit of info here. In case anyone had any doubts is you can actually do architecture work comfortably and without problems with the rMB, you can. As an architect and real estate developer I found myself working in Vectorworks 2015, Cinema 4D (Demo version until it runs out and I switch to full) , Excel, and a few other apps working at the same time without any problem. Rendering in Cinema 4D and drawing and 3D modeling in Vectorworks simultaneously is very smooth. I'm running a 1.2 and it's still responsive under heavy load, takes a little longer to render or do some things than my old mid 2012 rMBP (2.7, 16G ram) but it is definitely up to the task.

Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 12.07.07 PM.jpg

2. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

happy for you but .... what's the meaning of a ultralight notebook for this kind of stuff ?

3. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I would think it's obvious that for occasional use and portability it's a good example of what can be achieved and no different to those who use their rMB for light gaming that share their knowledge/experiance

I often help a builder in Thailand and do not wish to buy and lug a heavy MBP whilst I'm away just to develop a few plans in AutoCAD

Thanks to the OP for sharing

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

For this kind of tasks, even occasionally, I would opt for a 13" rMBP.
    Not heavy, but way more powerful.

5. pmouritz macrumors member

Thanks for sharing! Great to hear some insight about this. Do you experience any lag in UI when switching to mission control or desktops/split screens compared to your 2012 15" rMBP? I'm on the verge to sell my rMBP 2.3 GHz and 16 GB RAM and getting the rMB because I simply no longer have the use of 4 cores and dedicated graphics.

6. Enmanuel thread starter macrumors regular

Enmanuel

I wanted to let people who may be indecisive about having the rMB as a complimentary machine know that if you're in a field of work where you may need intensive applications such as these you can safely use this computer to get your tasks done. There's a lot of people who travel and work in the architecture/construction/development industry and would want to have the portability of the rMB but still be able to get work done while on the road. But I get your point for really intensive heavy rendering and plan drawings a more dedicated machine (i.e. and iMac 5K or something comparable) would be faster and better.

No I can't recall having experienced any UI lag while switching between apps and screens on mission control, very smooth. Maybe under really heavy usage it might happen but I couldn't say it's something I've noticed or that is present in an obvious way. I switched from the 15" rMBP precisely because I moved to a new job where I had an office computer and simply didn't have the use anymore for that much power on my personal computer. But with this setup i can now get work done too if i need to. But like i said before for real intensive plan drawings and high amounts of rendering the rMB would be a better complimentary machine to a dedicated main work one. So weigh that into your decision, I haven't regretted mine one bit.

7. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

You realize that strangers who read this thread can plainly see your iMessages and your mail inbox, yeah? Might wanna mosaic tile over those parts of your image in PS.

8. Enmanuel thread starter macrumors regular

Enmanuel

There wasn't anything of importance visible but you're right. better safe than sorry. Thanks.