rMB as daily driver/main computer

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Leo90, May 7, 2016.

1. Leo90 macrumors 6502

I am just wondering. How many of you use a rMB as your main and only computer?

2. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

I am at the minute.

I was going to just do the accounting on it. But my MBP battery has gone flat now and I'm in no rush to charge it up.

3. Zelnaga macrumors regular

Yup. Sold my 2012 iMac for the base unit macbook. I'm a light user, so didn't need a powerful machine and needed the portability.

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

My rMB is my main computer, but not my only one. I have a desktop PC as well for the few times I have an urge to game.

5. Betsy30 macrumors member

It will be as soon as I sell my MBA and MBP. Now that I'm no longer working I don't need anything huge and powerful. This combines the best attributes of my other laptops - the small size of the MBA and the memory and hard drive of the MBP. I think I'm going to love it. I can't wait for Migration Assistant to finish. Good thing I have another laptop to use in the meantime.

6. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

MacBook as my main and daily driver, but not only computer. Still count?

7. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

MacBook Retina is my main and only computer. Splits time with my 9.7" iPad Pro.

8. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

MacBook Pro 15 2013 connected to a 32-inch screen at home but the rMB pretty much goes everywhere with me.

9. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

For me it is my second portable Mac, I have already a MBPr 2013 i7 as the workhorse, plus a 12" iPad Pro, plus a mac mini 2012 Server. I also have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3, and a HP EliteBook Folio 1040. But for the moment the rMB 12" is my clear favorite.

10. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

I just bought one over the weekend and honestly, I could not even tell the difference in performance between this and the rMBP 15'' mid 2014 I had. I don't use it for pro-longed load intensive activities though - but I think most people don't anyway so if you are in that category it will really easily be able to be used as your main driver. Many developers are already using it as their main driver and there seems to be people who even use it to game at an acceptable frame rate!

So yep, unless you are a power user, you will have no issues with this MacBook. I am only tempted to return it just to see what they come out in WWDC - Performance wise I don't need anything more, but having things like a better webcam and a slightly larger screen could be worth me making the switch. That is if the new 13 inch removes the nightmare that is the sharp edge below the keyboard.

11. Leo90 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is my turn :p I've been using my rMB as main computer just fine. When at home, I put it on a docking station and have a full desktop experience with it. I work on it (word processing, data analysis and so on) and play some games just fine.

12. joelank macrumors member

i thought it was a powerful enough machine for backend development .. if only the keyboard was better ...

13. mentaluproar, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016

mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I use my rMBP as my main machine. I suggest you get a stand like the one below and use any keyboard and touchpad you want. Your neck will thank you.

https://www.raindesigninc.com/mstand.html

EDIT: Misread the title

14. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

just curious.... hows the performance difference?

15. flight505 macrumors member

working with big data (genetics) i recently found that cloud computing is a much better solution for me then buying a huge desktop or high-end laptop. if you only have high CPU demands once or twice a day or a couple of times a week perhaps the macbook coupled with cloud computing might be a solution for you -

better portability has increased my productivity a bit and all i need now is a large screen in my office. But the macbook is not without its flaws for instance i received two but the keyboard on one of them had a couple of bad keys so it was returned.

some of the biggest flaws from my point of view is that 2016 version didn't include USB 3.1 and support clamshell mode on a 4K@60hz.. Also it gets very hot (m7) under stress i really hope apple would include some sort of cooling and move to 15W processors with a iris GPU which would make it a high quality product (wishful thinking). the 480p webcam is not a concern, i only use my iPhone for that sort of stuff and it allows me to show things close up in a lab or other places where it´s needed - for instance in a shop when i buy an item for someone els.

the only reason to buy a 2016 macbook is it the portability, if that serves a purpose in your daily life and a tablet OS does not cut it well then it's a great little machine. i love the portability as i have it with my from office to office and into the lab all day. But personally i would properly wait and see what happens with MBP - if it becomes a super MB air starting from 12 inch with butterfly keyboard as the rMB it would be a much better "main computer" then the rMB.

But i have to add that apple are only interested moving quantity not quality, which and this is just my personal opinion means that visual changes the consumers can see such as new colours, form factors have become more important then whats under the hood.

16. vengapat macrumors regular

vengapat

All i do is safari based things, email and very light gaming. The macbook is perfect for me but i can't seem to worry that the macbook pro coming out will be ultra thin and match the current macbook.

17. flight505 macrumors member

well Apple's level of innovation hasn't really impressed lately - i would be very surprised if they manage to squeeze the MBP down to a MB air and include retina or OLED.. i mean look at the rMB it's a iPad with a keyboard - 1300$

18. cursedearth macrumors member

Ah shoot. Should've just bought a keyboard for my iPad and used it as my daily driver. If only I read your post before I purchased my rMB.

19. vengapat macrumors regular

vengapat

Because its a 12 inch laptop? It's nothing like an iPad apart from being ultra portable.

20. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

The rMB really is an innovative machine. Aside from the HP Spectre, no one else in the market really makes anything comparable. I guess the Surface 4 or the SurfaceBook would be the other most similar machines, however there are distinct differences. Both of those devices are trying to be hybrid devices while the rMB is the only ultraportable notebook.

You can't expect to get the battery life out of the HP you can get out of the rMB. It's a fantastic little device-- most people comment how it looks like an iPad when closed, but you open it up to a wonderful retina display and individually backlit keys.

21. kis macrumors 65816

Wanted it to be my main computer but it's way too slow for Lightroom (large-ish library), so had to bury that plan

22. flight505 macrumors member

No sorry it´s not an iPad - because it´s running osX :D
    - i am just disappointing by the performance my 2016 rMB - it gets really really hot and seems to lack small but essential features usb 3.1, 4K@60... okay perhaps thats on intel. But 800 hardware engineers employed at :apple: in the US alone and they couldn't figur out how to provide a little fan-less cooling - perhaps a Peltier element would do it.

Anyway dont bet on apple somehow will miniaturise the MBP. If other companies can't manufacture a laptop running i7 skylake with 16GB and a OLED screen the size of macbook air then o_O.. well i wouldn't hold my breath.

23. MXSkier62 macrumors regular

i think the macbook is excellent, and if you don't have a lot of heavy lifting to do (computing wise), then it's fantastic. I'm running a m5 chip, and it feels fast and responsive, and is definitely a huge upgrade from my MBA. The Keyboard definitely takes getting used to, and i definitely am making more mistakes on my typing at first, but I think that'll change as I write more and more with it.

I did just get it a bit over 2 weeks ago, and I wouldn't put it past apple for dropping some ridiculous computer in June at WWDC (although there really is no indication that it is coming besides our collective hope). But unless you need pro level work then this computer will be more than fine. And SO small and light and portable.

24. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

Been using mine exclusively for a couple of weeks now.

Made and released a few small arcade games on the App Store so been using Unity, Xcode etc and all run perfectly.

Not missed the heavy MBP at all. Just sits upstairs as a kind of 'just-in-case' backup.

A testament to modern tech. Quite amazing to be able to do such advanced 3D things on such low power.

25. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Not me.

My company gives me the minivan to use in the office, the RMB is my weekend convertible. I use it situationally, it's my companion when I travel overseas, it's what I use to give offsite presentations, it's what I use in board meetings. For everything else, I've got a nice and heavy and fully-featured company-supplied Dell sitting under my desk. At home, we have a desktop replacement notebook with a big screen in the kitchen, it's the shared family computer, it's all I need for the occasions where I need a mouse and a keyboard and my iPhone won't do.

One of the least talked-about features of the RMB is it's instant-on function, it's like an iOS device in that regard. Meaning that if I'm doing work in my office and am quickly needed in a meeting I can just whip the RMB out of my messenger bag, hit the power button, and I'm off to the races without delay. It's so light and transportable, I carry it 24/7 but I don't even know it's there. Until I need it. And then it's awesome.

BJ