rMB as second machine to a new 13" rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Robbenisland, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Robbenisland macrumors member

I bought a new 2015 13" rMBP with 2,9 Ghz i5, 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD. I bought this machine as I use a Thunderbolt display at work and at home and also do a lot of video conferencing at work from a meeting room. So far so good :)

I also travel a whole lot - 3-4 times a month on a plane. Now I wonder if I should get the rMB as a secondary machine for travel. Does that make any sense? Besides the second purchase I would also need to keep my data in sync (not a big issue with email and cloud drives).

Any advice if it is rational to use the 13" rMBP for home/work and the rMB for travel?

P.S.: Do not want to consider an iPad - basically went through all iterations, but need a proper Mac when on the road and the iPhone 6 plus serves fine as touch screen device.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

if you have the money, why not. It would be a great travel machine!

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Sounds like way too much overlapping, IMO.

4. close2reality macrumors 6502

I'm going to agree, if you had an iMAC or a 15" laptop that was your main source and had more real estate/size, I would be on board.

Although the contrast between the two laptops are different, I'm not sure there far enough part to warrant another $1200 purchase.

I would just lug around the 13", it may not be as thin as a rMB..but I don't think it's an efficient decision.

edit*: after reading again and realizing your 1TB and 16GB ram, i'm going to lean strictly on the size. The new 13" rMBP's are not anywhere near an impractical device to daily drive, even if it requires travel. I think this new fad that it needs to be as small as a rMB is rather obsessing and unreasonable.

5. newellj macrumors 601

For the OP, I tend to agree with you. For myself, I disagree, although I'll concede it's a luxury of sorts. I walk 4 miles a day and ride a train an hour for my commute, and then carry the computer around the office. The difference in weight and size is very noticeable. The 13" rMBP, which I love, is not exactly a boat anchor, but I love the little rMB, and it does what I need done on a laptop just as well as the rMBP.

If I needed to carry around 1TB and/or 16 GB of RAM, there would obviously be no choice. For tasks like that, I have desktops (one with 15TB fixed storage/32 GB of RAM).

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

FYI: If you do a lot of video conferencing know the rMB has a 480 FaceTime camera.

7. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Where'd you find the contrast numbers?

---

OP, I personally couldn't' justify getting a 12" MB when I had a 13" MBP, but if you have the money, that's what it's for.