rMB - Can't instantly power on when battery discharged

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jhbodle, Nov 15, 2016.

1. jhbodle macrumors newbie

Every laptop (including MacBook Pros) I have owned would power up instantly when a charger is connected, even if the battery was empty. However my rMB just shows an empty battery symbol with '0%' in it and will refuse to power on for 15 - 30mins.

Is this normal? I don't use it that often but when I do want to use it I don't want to wait for it to be ready.

2. CreatorCode macrumors regular

CreatorCode

Yes, it's normal. Current Macbooks need a minimum level of charge to start up.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204156

I would recommend you try not to let your battery get completely drained. Aside from being inconvenient, deep-discharging your battery repeatedly will reduce its capacity.

3. kwandrews macrumors 6502

Agree. This is just like the iPad's....when drained, it takes a bit to get back up and running. Think the MBr has a lot in common with it power wise.

4. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

Yep, totally normal. It's been this way on the 2015 model and now the 2016. But it seems to only take like 10 minutes or so to reach enough charge to power on where mine is concerned. I mostly try hard not to let it become completely discharged. :)

5. kwandrews macrumors 6502

I consider the 10% warning "time to plug in". I still haven't hit that during the day at all...unless I was trying to do so.

6. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

I got mine down to 7% before I got the pop up warning today. I did it on purpose just to make sure it worked. I just learned, the popup is supposed to occur when there are about 10 min of battery left. Also, the rMB is supposed to be able to cycle a maximum of 1000 battery cycles, if you charge every day, that is about 3 years.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204054