rMB docks/connectivity advice sought

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jdelgado, Sep 10, 2015.

1. jdelgado macrumors regular

Hi
    My wife wants to get a rMB because for its weight. She will be using it at her desk and on the road. While at her desk, needs to:

+ use external monitor
    + keep it charging
    + connect to ethernet
    + have 1 or 2 extra USB port(s)

I have been looking at the forum and there seem to be some alternatives.
    There is the Hub+, but it is not available yet and will need to get a ethernet adapter (that would be OK). Also, there is the Hedgedock, but it is expensive. Others are OWC's USB-C dock and Hydradock.
    What would you recommend?

I know a MBP or MBA would be simpler to accommodate, they are larger, so I would like to stick with the rMB if possible.

Thanks!

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

For now I would not hold out hope for any of the kickstarter projects. None of them have shipped yet, and will likely be delayed longer than anticipated.

For what you want, you should just get her the official Apple Digital AV adapter, and connect a regular usb/Ethernet hub to that. You may also want to buy a second charging brick and cable if she is frequently mobile so she doesn't have to pack that up each time. I have this usb hub attached http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Unibody...1441889285&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+usb+ethernet

This is exactly the setup I have at my desk, and it works perfectly. The only thing I could really ask for is for the cable on the adapter to be a bit longer to make it easier to hide.

3. jdelgado thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply. It looks like that is the way to go.
    Hope you do not mind a couple of questions. Have you had any problems with the HDMI? I have read that some people report bad quality video. Also, can you charge an iPhone from the hub or run a self-powered drive from it ok?

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

no problem. I have not had issues with the HDMI. Not sure why there would be problems with it? I have run it on up to a 4k monitor, although of course limited to 30hz.

The USB port has enough power to charge a phone or power a 2.5" drive, but probably not both at the same time. I have several peripherals including a drive connected most of the time. If you need more power, attach a powered USB hub.

5. jdelgado thread starter macrumors regular

I asked about HDMI based on reviews of the AV adapter in Apple's site and Amazon. There are also comments on trouble using it for charging. I guess one can buy it and if does not work, return it.
    Thanks a lot for your help.

6. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Ordered a hub + from Kickstarter looks amazing it's been delayed a bit but supposed to ship next month. I have not seen a better alternative as of now.