rMB for my usage?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by phas3, Aug 18, 2015.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

Oct 5, 2008
    For the most part I used my rMBP for surfing when I was at home. But at work I was constantly using excel, word, powerpoint and most of all VM Ware to do work in. I ended up selling my rMBP because I was certain 100% that I would get the rMB but due to its scarce availability during launch I got cold feet. Would the rMB be enough for me or should I go with the rMBP? If I should get another rMBP is there an update for it coming soon?
  2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Dec 11, 2008
    Enjoying Better Things
    Heavy on typical MS office apps, dont run VM`s, do run propriety engineering applications in a compatibility layer without issue. All in all, very pleased with the Retina MacBook.

3. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oct 5, 2008
    :/ I read that VMs might struggle I'd like to hear more from others
  4. zhenya macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2005
    It depends not on the VM, but what software you are running in the VM. They require little CPU power to run on their own - their performance is limited primarily by disk and RAM. It's the programs you run inside them that may require extra CPU power - and that decision is the same as deciding whether the rMB is right for you in the first place.
  5. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2009
    United States
    And to add to what zhenya said, gpu in a vm can also be a limiting factor depending on what software you're running in the vm.

But in general, if you're a heavy vm user (i.e. either heavy apps in the VM and/or you have a VM running most of the time), 16gb is a good idea... and you'll need enough drive space for it.
  6. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2011
    how many times have these questions been asked. there's a search engine here.