rMB hard space bar

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by will0407, Sep 24, 2015.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone else have an issue with their 12" rMB where the space bar is 'hard' at either side i.e it doesn't depress when pressed as much as it does in the middle.

I have the above problem but am not sure how to fix it. There is a discussion thread on the apple forum where someone suggested tapping the base in the space bar area to 'release' the key but that hasn't worked thus far. It's really frustrating as it's causing me to miss a lot of keystrokes and to have to go back and add spaces

2. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

3. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks

4. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Mine seems fine. I bet if you take it to the Apple Store they'll swap it out for you.

5. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Good lord man, I looked through some of your other posts and you seem pretty bitter. Chill!

6. will0407, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not bitter, just don't understand why people feel it necessary to post pointless replies.I've come here for help, not to be told to sell it/get a new one! well thanks for that gem.

I am actually one of the most laid back people you could meet (sometimes to my detriment!), it's just frustrating getting a notification to a thread where I'm looking for a solution to be met with that.

I don't want to replace it as I've put palmguards and a screen cover on- I managed to get the screen cover on perfectly as well so I know if I have to do another I'll mess it up, sods law!

7. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

well i guess you can't get it replaced, and no one wants your customization, so as i suggested get it fixed. why's that not a suggestion. but no need to respond.

8. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Who are you to say no-one wants my customisation and on what basis? All my previous laptops have had palmguards and screen covers on and they have sold for very good prices on ebay when I have come to sell.

When did I say I wanted to sell? That was your suggestion. And at what point in your original reply did you say fix it? You said return it, which isn't the same thing.

It may have to be replaced (depends what Apple decide the best solution is), I'd just prefer not to replace it or spend the time travelling to the Apple store to leave it there and have to travel back there to collect it if there is a simpler fix I could do myself. But no need to respond.

9. drjsway macrumors 6502a

Here's a useful reply. I've had similar problems with the space bar and with other keys. Hard to press down. A few days later, the problem would go away. Then occasionally, another key will develop the problem. I can't say why this happens but it does go away.

10. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I've booked a genius bar appt for Thursday as a last resort. I'll obviously keep using it until then and hope it sorts itself as you say.

11. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Sorry, I quoted the wrong post. You don't seem bitter at all -- it's Ruggles99 I was referring to. He seems to have a major chip on his shoulder.

12. bwb macrumors member

Funny enough, I just took my rMB to the genius bar today for the exact same issue. Bottom right/left corners had no click. Space still worked if press there but zero tactile feedback. Middle and tops were fine. Apple genius didn't bat an eye (I'm not even sure he tested it himself) and it's 3-5 day turn for switching out the top chassis.

13. jmbrown91 macrumors member

I've got the same issue, booked a genius appointment for Sunday. Hoping for them to just swap it out as I can't be without the laptop for work purposes.