rMB Hardware failure?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Himynamesnoah, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Himynamesnoah macrumors member

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and if it's a hardware issue.
    I have a less than a week old rMB base model, space grey.
    I'm running El Capitan Public Beta 4, which I have been on the public betas the day I got my MacBook. Has been running great, no issues other than the occasional crash. But the past 2 days I've been getting system lockups, but only occasionally. Sometimes it's a full freeze (can't do anything, trackpad has no feedback, have to hold the power button until it turns off) or a black screen with some red lines (attached a pic).
    Today is when it started getting bad, now it's unusable. I'm lucky if I get a minute past the login screen, it's even happened before the apple logo (black screen with red lines.). Can't use internet recovery to make sure it's not the beta since it does the same black screen eith red lines thing.
    I even have trouble getting it to boot back up, totally unresponsive to anything, have to hold the power button a few times to get the chime. I reset SMC and NVRAM as well.

I'm almost convinced it's a hardware issue, seems to me like a GPU failing. But just wanted to see if anyone has had an issue like this before I head to the store tomorrow, thanks!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. cmjars macrumors 6502

Take it into Apple. The line on your screen is evidence of a GPU failure. I had a similar line on my 5K iMac I took it in and it was a GPU failure. I was also running Beta OS.

3. ApoorvPrem macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

GPU failure on a less than 1 year old 5K iMac - That's shocking. Can I ask you which GPU you are using?

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You should reinstall Yosemite and run with that, and verify the problem. A beta OS can cause all kinds of errors, which will be removed upon release, and Apple will most likely tell you the same.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Thats not shocking, that is all electronic products, any one can fail at any time, it is the nature of the beast.

6. ApoorvPrem macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

I am concerned cos I would be living at a city where we don't have an apple store. If anything happens then I will have to post it :(

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep and that is the issue with buying anything electronic without local support.

8. Himynamesnoah thread starter macrumors member

I can't get it to run long enough to reinstall anything! Even in recovery mode it does it, can't even save my stuff. So I'm just going to exchange it as Best Buy.