rMB Impressions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by puma1552, Apr 12, 2015.

1. puma1552, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

puma1552 macrumors 601

Just went to my local Apple store here in the Twin Cities suburbs.

Store was busy, but not overwhelmingly so.

There was nobody looking at these, and nobody asked me for help either, which was fine. First impressions of that were about as expected after about a 15 minute play. Very nice build quality, for the most part nice size and weight. The keyboard will take some getting used to, but I bet after a few weeks I wouldn't want to use anything else. That said, while the key size didn't bother me, I did keep missing the backspace key. The keys definitely are stable with no light leak around them, and they really register more of a click than anything. I felt like the hinge was weak/cheap; nice to not have to hold the base of the machine to open it, but it was definitely a little flimsy. I was reminded of my '08 unibody MBP that had a cracked hinge after a short time. Of course the hinge is metal now, but it still felt cheap.

Screen real estate just wasn't there. Oddly enough the default resolution set on the display units was the scaled/more space option. Even then, the real estate just wasn't quite enough if you are used to a 15" machine, even a low res 15" MBP. Screen was crisp though, and brightness seemed about the same as any other machine they've released in the last 5-7 years. Really didn't feel like a 12" screen; I've had laptops with 12" screens in the past that never seemed that small.

I did not test the 1.1 display machine for lag, but it seemed fine on the non-default scaled resolution.

The space gray is indeed the darker space gray from the iPad Air 1. Gold was whatever, if that's your thing, great. I honestly couldn't decide if I'd want silver or space gray, but kind of leaned towards silver. I'm sure I'll be making this choice in the future on a rMBP.

The verdict?

Seemed like a proof of concept more than anything. Feels like a gen. 1 MBA repeat, with slightly less asinine pricing. I remember I had a rev. B MBA, and that thing was crap thanks to the 4200 rpm HDD. Hopefully things go better for this machine.

Nice machine, but too many compromises, especially at that price point. I actually could use this as my sole machine, but the screen real estate simply isn't enough, although it never really felt cramped. This machine at $899 or $999 is a much more realistic sale as a secondary machine. I do think though that if the small screen doesn't bother you and your needs are basic, you will probably be a lot happier than those who wasted $3k on a 2008 MBA.

2. vanimal macrumors 6502a

That was my only gripe really. I am used to a 13.3" MBA and a 13.3" MBPR. That extra 1.3" is pretty noticeable. Not only that the extra wrist rest gets its use for me and my big paws. I felt like my hands completely swallowed the MBR, although i still thought it was beautiful. I could for sure use it as my main machine. Im just curious how i would adapt to the smaller screen and less wrist area. To me it basically looked like the footprint of the 11" MBA with a 12" screen.

Now if Apple can put a 13.3" or even 14" screen in V2, now we are talking! Hell, all i really want is the current MBA shell with a Retina screen. :cool:

3. newellj macrumors 601

A fair opinion. I think many of those purchasing it now would agree. As a proof of concept, though I found it very appealing. ;) Side comment: I was at the Burlington, MA Apple Store yesterday and all six display models were mostly continuously in use during the half hour I was there fiddling with them.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

same as you and OP. I use a 13" now with the scaled resolutions. The "lowest" I can go is 1440 x 900. IIRC, the highest resolution on the 12" was 1280 x 800?

edit: NM, I just looked and it does support 1440x900 as the scaled resolution

5. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Forgot to mention my opinion of the trackpad - don't really care either way, as a tap to click guy. The tactic engine does a good job of making you think you're clicking though, didn't really bother with Force Touch as I was too lazy to go into trackpad settings and play with it, but I'm sure it's got some neat uses.