rMB + iPad owners: Has your iPad usage declined since purchasing your rMB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by emilioestevez, Sep 22, 2015.

?

?

1. yes

20 vote(s)
    69.0%
  2. no

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. WickedPorter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

It declined quite a bit when I upgraded to my iPhone 6 Plus ... and it's sitting in the closet right now and hasn't been touched ever since I purchased my rMB. I have no desire to purchase another one. I was always a "keyboard case" iPad guy ... always used the iPad as a small laptop, most of the time. No longer needed.

2. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

Nope. I just bought a shiny new iPad mini 4 and I've been using that constantly. I think they're different use cases. iPad for reading, couch, etc. MacBook for actual computer experience (for me screenwriting) which the iPad sucks at.

3. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

I replaced my iPad Air with my rMB about a month ago. Like WickedPorter, I've always used my iPad with a keyboard case. Anyway, since dumping my iPad, I have absolutely zero regrets.

4. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

No, I still use my iPad Air 2 quite a bit, mostly for browsing/reading manga and videos. Certainly the 4x3 aspect ratio on the iPad isn't as good to watch videos and movies on compared to the 16x10 on the rMB, but in China many things like YouTube are blocked. My place of residence has a VPN so we can access Google and Facebook reliably, but they blocked YouTube over bandwidth concerns, so you can't access it through a website link but somehow I can access it via the YouTube app on my phone or iPad.

So my iPad has primarily turned into a YouTube device nowadays, lol.:p

5. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I did the exact same thing as you, except I sold my Mac mini and my iPad Air and got a 13" rMBP. I feel like going that way, I get the portability and power of both platforms all in one machine. When I got my iPhone 6, which is the biggest phone I've ever owned, my iPad largely collected dust. I didn't see the point in owning one anymore.

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

My iPad definitely sees a lot less use now as the Macbook is small enough to be used in most of the places where I previously was using the iPad (on the couch, in bed, on the kitchen counter, etc.)

Conveniently for me there is no new 10" iPad to tempt me to part with more money this year either. :)

7. Daws001 macrumors 6502

Daws001

Between the rMB, iPhone 6, and Kindle, my iPad Air 2 was squeezed out. I just sold it last week. I'd rather watch movies, write, and web surf on the rMB, I'd rather play Hearthstone on my iPhone, and I'd rather read on my Kindle. Those were pretty much my main uses for the iPad before the other devices started chipping away at it.

8. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

The Macbook 12" had taken over from my iPad when I'm in couch potato mode. But for coffee and sandwich shops I still use the iPad.

9. zlogs macrumors member

I use my ipad mini 2 religiously, but when I had my 6 plus for ~ 3 weeks last year at launch I didnt pick my iPad mini up at all. I think a low end phone and an iPad really go together well. I use my iPhone 4 just to call and text because it is slow, and I use my iPad for everything else like music in my car. I am still debating on whether or not I should go iPad mini 4, or keep the Iphone 6s from preorder. I know good and well if I get both, the iPad will never be used.

10. mrlowkey, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015

mrlowkey macrumors member

twomonusb gave new life for my 5yr old iPad 1 (which has been unused and sitting in the drawer for the past 2 yrs+) as an external monitor for retina Macbook

[​IMG]

impressive.. no lag for ios v5.1.1(max allowed by Apple for EOL iPad 1) /duet was no go as it required at least ios 7

[​IMG]

11. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I think my iPad use has just been declining in general. Phones are big, I have a Kindle for reading, and my Macbook if I want to do any serious work.

I think the biggest boon a tablet had over a laptop was battery, but I'm getting 9-10h on my Macbook!

12. Z3man macrumors 6502a

Hardly use my iPad anymore, i just leave it upstairs in the bedroom for checking emails when i come out of the shower. iPhone and Macbook is the way to go.

13. asaggynoodle macrumors member

asaggynoodle

My iPad Air 2 has basically been completely replaced except for some games.
    If I find the time to either get the iOS simulator up and running or Wine installed it'll be time to get rid of it for a new iPad Pro.

If the Macbook had a larger touchpad that could be used with a Digitizer Stylus (think Apple Pencil or Adonit here.) I would never even need the iPad Pro.

14. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

my rmb is used much more than my 2014 11" mba mainy because of the screen. of my samsung tablets, i use my note 10.1 mainly in bed to listen to internet radio. hardly ever touch my note pro 12.2, or my note 8, or my other tablet i have. my 5th gen ipod also sits unused. i should sell off all that stuff. anyone?

15. zlogs macrumors member

You're selling the mba?

16. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

are you interested?

17. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Never felt the need for an iPad, I wouldn't even want one.. It's just device clutter and I'm a minimalist in that sense. iPads just frustrate me, they're not capable enough for how big they are. They're not a truly mobile device like an iPhone yet they have no more functionality than an iPhone. If you're gonna throw an iPad in your bag you may as well throw a MacBook in instead.

Retina iMac, MacBook, iPhone 6S Plus. Perfect setup.