rMB keyboard durability

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Koudspeel, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Koudspeel macrumors regular

Koudspeel

Hi all,

I consider on getting the next rMB whenever it comes out although I'm in a bit of a pickle here. On the forums I read a lot about the rMB keys getting stuck or not just not responding at all after a certain amount of usage. This makes me question the durability of the keys on the rMB.

Sure I can wait for the hopefully updated rMB or buy a MBP right now and be reassured of the better build quality of the butterfly v2 mechanism, but I much prefer the lightweight rMB.

Could someone shine some light on this for me? Thanks!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Honestly the build quality is absolutely fine. Really great in fact. There will always be a few people with the odd issue of keys getting stuck or falling off -- but if that happens, Apple will replace it free-of-charge, so no issues.

They're a world apart from the cheap/plasticky feel of the DELL XPS keyboards. Don't let a bit of negativity worry you; Apple are still leaps and bounds ahead when it comes to build quality.

3. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Whilst there does seem quite a few postings on the forums for sticky or failing keys for the rMB it's hard to workout if they are just more prone to duct/crumbs etc than an actual defect for some.

We have never had problems and my wife is quite heavy handed additionally the 2016 MBP is too new to know if it's a 100% fault free KB

There is no real evidence that Apple newer KB's are any better or worse build than many other OEM's if it troubles you just factor AppleCare in to your purchase