rMB lack of iPhone compatibility

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Trey M, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I know Apple's idea is to move us forward with essentially completely wireless connections, but think about this: the new MacBook won't be able to connect to an iPhone 6 without an adapter...

I will definitely be getting one of these rMB, and I'm excited about the future where I'll never need to plug anything in (except for power) ever again. But it seems ridiculous that as it stands, Apple will not sell a lightning cable compatible with its brand new laptop without using an adapter. The iPhone 6 isn't even 6 months old

Apple needs to immediately begin selling USB Type-C compatible power adapters, lightning cables, etc., if it expects its most loyal users (AKA, the only ones that'll likely buy the first gen of this product) to be able to use this machine.

2. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

They may add a USB-C Lightening cable, but you can use WiFi to sync your iPhone.

I don't see apple going crazy with new cables- they positioned this as a wireless device.

3. flur macrumors 68000

Then I certainly hope they improve the WiFi syncing.

4. horsebattery, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

horsebattery macrumors 6502

I really wish Wifi Sync works more often for me. I have a 2nd-gen iPad mini and it's been working fine with my MBPR since day one. But I can never get my 5S/6 to be detected consistently. Usually a reboot on the MBP and/or 6 fixes the issue, but only temporarily. This makes dragging out the cables each time I want to backup the phone to be a bit of a hassle.

As a side note - until Apple also adopts USB-C for the MBA/MBP/iMac/etc. lines, I foresee at least some confusion ahead for consumers trying to navigate through the different jumble of cables. Either buy an adapter and have to whip that out in addition to your 30-pin/lightning cables, or buy additional USB-C cables to replace your older ones to forego having to use the adapter.

5. LV-16 macrumors member

They need to improve it. :confused:

My 5s un-pairs with iTunes after a couple Wi-Fi syncs, then I need to sync it with the cable for it to work again.