rMB lag between trackpad and mouse pointer

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by J.C, Apr 30, 2015.

1. J.C macrumors 6502

Like others I have had a bit of slow-down and lag in the UI on my new MacBook, but the main issue is the way the trackpad feels.

It's like there is a small amount of lag between moving my finger(s) on the trackpad and the mouse pointer reacting. Not enough to see, but enough to just feel wrong. Same thing with scrolling up and down. That minuscule delay can be very obvious. It's something I notice using the PC laptops at work but not something I've experienced on a Mac.

Switching between my 2011 MBA and the new MacBook there is an obvious difference. On the new machine I feel slightly disconnected from the mouse pointer. On the old machine I feel like I'm moving the pointer with zero delay.

Turning off transparency, resetting SMC/PRAM, fixing permissions etc makes no difference. Changing the tracking speed doesn't help either.

Anyone else experiencing this? It's driving me crazy(er).

2. freddy418 macrumors newbie

Download RDM, install it, switch to a non-HiDPI resolution, and the lag will be gone.

3. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

4. J.C thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine is the base model, too. Thanks for the reply.

5. mahoneym macrumors newbie

Mine is a 1.2 model and it seems fine everywhere but apple mail. Click on a message and it takes a second or two to show. Move a message to another folder and a second or two to drop.

6. nziqigog macrumors newbie

it takes a second or two to show. Move a message to another folder and a second or two to drop.[​IMG]

7. J.C thread starter macrumors 6502

I get all those delays and lag opening, closing, moving etc but this particular issue is something different. It's driving me nuts. I am particular sensitive to this type of thing, however, so I wouldn't be surprised if more people are experiencing it and don't realise.

8. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

1.2/512 model here. No mouse lag as you've described. Also, was just playing around with Mail app and I have no real lag there. The only place I consistently notice some UI lag is when resizing windows. But my 2014 MacBook Pro would do that occasionally as well. I do have some Window scrolling lag in my Parallels VM - Windows 10 Tech preview, but I think that's more of a Parallels issue.

I do run Quick Res and have played with various DPI settings, HIDPI and standard and I've noticed no real difference other than the look of the fonts (HIDPI looks better to me.)

Maybe run Activity Monitor and check to see if any other apps are running?

Good luck

9. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a