rMB & multiple monitors via HDMI

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hook85, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Hook85 macrumors member

Hook85

Is it possible to hook the rMB up to more than one monitor via HDMI?

2. Hook85 thread starter macrumors member

Hook85

3. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

There is a 27" Asus monitor with 2 hdmi, and I gather there are those who have two of those monitors together (very thin frame) using one mac. Not sure what adaptors are needed.

4. Hook85 thread starter macrumors member

Hook85

5. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Are you trying to get 2 duplicate desktops, or one extended desktop across both monitors?

Here's the description of the MacBook graphics capability on Apple's website:

Intel HD Graphics 5300

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

The only way I could see this working is if you could stretch the 3840 pixels across 2 HD monitors. The problem is I don't think the signal will split over HDMI. In other words, if you bought this docking station with 2 HD monitors and hooked your MacBook up to it, you'd just get 2 duplicate desktops instead of one extended desktop. I think you can only get an extended desktop by using the native retina screen plus one external monitor.

Does that help? I'm no graphics expert, but that's what I'd expect would happen.

6. Hook85 thread starter macrumors member

Hook85

Thanks for your reply.

Apple are notorious for their lack official information regarding dual monitors and their laptop range, so I was hoping somebody had experience with extending their desktop across two monitors on the rMB.

I know you can daisy chain monitors using DVI, rather than HDMI - so I'm wondering if that's a possibility.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

you need displayport to daisy chain, not DVI, and there are few if any displayport adapters right now and they are all limited to lower resolution even than HDMI. I think this is going to be difficult if not impossible to make work.