Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcole623

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
Question, we know the new Macbook will have Intel HD Graphics 5300 as stated here:

Tech Specs

I'm wondering if it can support the system requirements for Autodesk Fusion 360, the requirements are listed here:

Fusion 360 System Requirements

System Requirements

Apple Mac® OS® X Mountain Lion (10.8.5) or later production versions
Microsoft® Windows® 7 SP1 or Microsoft® Windows® 8.1
CPU: 64-bit processor (32-bit not supported)
Memory: 3GB RAM (4GB recommended)
A DSL internet connection or faster
Disk space: ~2GB
Graphics Card: 512MB GDDR RAM or more, except Intel GMA X3100 cards
Pointing device: Microsoft-compliant mouse, Apple Mouse, Magic Mouse, MacBook Pro trackpad

Autodesk recommends 512MB of GDDR RAM but I can't find anywhere what the new Core M with Intel HD 5300 graphics is equivalent in GDDR RAM. I want to be able to model basic mechanical assemblies on my new MacBook!

Help please!

Last edited:

hcole623

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
According to Intel's specs it can have up to 1.7 GB. And I think it's more than reasonable to suppose that it will have at least 512 MB in Apple's configuration.

I think you'll be fine.

Oh sweet, that's more than 3x what Autodesk recommends. I'm leaning more and more towards the new rMB over the MBPr, mainly due to the design and the 256GB SSD compared to 128GB SSD at the same priced MBPr.

Last edited:

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Oh sweet, that's more than 3x what Autodesk recommends. I'm leaning more and more towards the new rMB over the MBPr, mainly due to the design and the 256GB SSD compared to 128GB SSD at the same priced MBPr.

Keep in mind that I said that's what it can have. We don't know how much it will get in Apple's configuration.

hcole623

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
Keep in mind that I said that's what it can have. We don't know how much it will get in Apple's configuration.

Will that be something the early reviewers will reveal through benchmarks?

Last edited:

hcole623

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
- Most definitely.

For reference, the Intel HD Graphics 3000 (in 2011 MacBook Pros) can also support up to 1.7 GB, but in Apple's configuration it never gets more than 512 MB.

I installed Fusion 360 on my wife's mid-2010 MBP (Nvidia 256mb graphics) and Fusion definitely struggled and gave me graphics card warnings. Hopefully the 5 years newer rMB should be substantially better than her's.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
There is enough that's new about the rMB that it may be that the only way to really figure out whether it will work for you is to buy one and really put it through its paces during the return period. I am not big on abusing the return policy but in this case I don't think there's really an alternative. Even good reviews aren't likely to answer how it will perform for *you.* It's not like you can say "well, it's like last year's model but a little faster" or "it has the same processor as this other Apple laptop but it's a 1.5gHz CPU instead of a 2.2 gHz CPU." I think Apple's return rate will be higher than average for this, and they probably expect that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.