rMB: No Parallels or VMware Fusion???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iRun26.2, Mar 22, 2015.

1. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Unlike the core i7 series, the core M specification quotes 'None' in the 'virtualization' category (web-site listed below).

http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_m_5y71-453-vs-intel_core_i7_4510u-446

Does that mean I can't run Parallels?! Must I, then, completely rely on BootCamp to run Windows applications?

(That would suck!)

2. Rigby macrumors 601

3. Serban Suspended

you can run easily those apps because of the standard 8Gb RAM. Those are more Ram hungry than Cpu

4. iRun26.2 thread starter macrumors 68000

While I wish you are right, I think you are wrong. In the specification web-page you referenced the "vt-x" parameter is blank, implying it is not capable of hardware assisted virtualization.

5. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

I'm not sure what you're seeing, but this is what I see:

Broadwell.png

6. iRun26.2 thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't know what I was looking at before but it does appear that virtualization is support. What is relief!!!

7. Rigby macrumors 601

BTW, at least VMWare Fusion and Virtualbox for the most part work without hardware assist as well (using binary translation). The performance may be lower and some special features (like nested hypervisors) will not work, but you can run regular VMs even on CPUs without vt-x. I don't know if the same is true for Parallels.