rMB or wait for the iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gusping, May 6, 2015.

1. gusping macrumors 6502

I have a iPad Air 2 which I rarely take out the house and mainly use for web browsing and a top spec rMBP 15" for my uni work, however the new rMB looks AMAZING and I'm tempted to get it to replace my iPad. I know that the new iPad Pro is coming out hopefully later this year and will probably be a similar price to the rMB. Do I get the rMB or wait for the iPad Pro? Decisions!!!

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

many rumors have pointed to the 12" macbook actually being the iPad pro

3. KrisLord macrumors 65816

There's so little detail on any iPad Pro I'd not consider it an option yet. However if it's just browsing, is the IPad Air not the better device?

I've got my MacBook today but it won't replace my iPad, I'll use both.

4. Mattymoocow macrumors member

Mattymoocow

You serious? Have you ever used your 9" iPad and thought, gee it would be better if were 3" bigger?

they are 2 totally different devices with different operating systems.

iOS devices are great for entertainment and basic browsing etc
    OS X devices are more powerful, can be used for similar functions as iOS devices, but have a lot more flexibility to be used as work horse creating/editing documents/photos/videos etc.

if you're mainly just after a device for browsing, it would be a massive overkill to get a rMB. I'd stick with the iPad Air 2, especially as you already have it!

5. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

Agree. I think iPad Pro, if such a thing ever will actually exist and make it to market, will be a niche product for graphic designers and such. Ordinary folk who use a tablet for browsing, email, etc... won't want a bigger tablet. If you want a full-fledged computer for everyday use, in a small form factor, then the new MacBook is really nice. Loving mine...

6. gusping thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea maybe. I just thought with the fact I use it at home most of the time I could get away with a bigger screen.

7. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

iPad is too restrictive thanks to iOS. Give me a real computer any day of the week.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iPad pro is just a giant iPad running iOS AFAIK, that being the case, I think the rMB is a better choice. Running a full desktop OS opens the door to more choices and flexibility.

If the iPad Pro is running OS X, then that does change stuff, it will be more like a Surface Pro 3, tablet and laptop functionality. Tbh, I can't see apple doing this as it will eat into their Mac sales.

9. Mattymoocow macrumors member

Mattymoocow

iPad sales have been falling over the last couple of years anyway, perhaps its time for Apple to finally do a touch screen Surface Pro like device.

Perhaps OS X 11 will support touch?

10. gusping thread starter macrumors 6502

If it does, I hope it's some cut down version.... Even then I fear it may be a total flop like the Windows 8 tablet version was.

11. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

...aaaaaannnddd the price goes off the scale.

Between this two it would be a rMB any day.

Get an iPhone 6 plus. I got rid of my iPad when i got it. I felt the iPad was another device for facebook, twitter, vine, instagram, one game and the odd google search. Along with other quick duties.

Mac/Windows for the rest and a decent sit down. :cool:

12. mikeray macrumors regular

I really hope they don't do this (and they won't).

13. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

You already have a cut down version of OSX. It's called iOS.

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Sick burn, brah. :D