rMB Owners.....To iPad or Not to iPad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Maukey, Dec 15, 2015.

?

To iPad or Not to iPad?

1. iPad Air 2

15 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. iPad Mini 4

16 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. iPad Pro

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. Older iPad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't need an iPad I have a rMB!

26 vote(s)
    37.7%
  1. Maukey macrumors member

I wasn't sure whether to ask this question on the iPad forums or here. I chose here because I figure I'll get less bias.

I will be purchasing a rMB soon and am also considering an iPad Air 2 or Mini 4. However, I've heard some say that the rMB is an iPad killer and you don't need one if you have a rMB.

So my question is, do you own an iPad along with your rMB? If so, which one? Why do you or don't you own an iPad?

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I have both. In addition to the rMB I have an Air 2 (as well as an iPad 4). The iPad Air/Air 2 was my favorite device for a long time, and my primary personal computing device other than my work-provided one. Since I've bought the rMB though I have to admit the iPad has been getting a lot less use - primarily by my kids which is the only reason I keep two around. I go through periods where I travel for work a lot internationally, and then I use the iPad a lot more because I think it's still the best device for plane/train/waiting around use. I also tend to read a lot more magazines during travel, so that's what the iPad excels at. But at home, I'll admit I don't see a lot of use for it.

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No iPad, I don't have any need for one. IOS is still best for consumption only. OS X is a full operating system with a vast amount more flexibility. rMB can cover my media needs when traveling and covers the work aspect on arrival.

Q-6

4. tissot201 macrumors newbie

A month ago I had no Apple devices and was never part of the ecosystem. I now have a iPhone 6s, iPad mini 4 and the MacBook. I am going to return the iPad because I found it very uncomfortable to hold and it felt like I was using a giant iPhone. For me personally I think the iPhone and the MacBook is the perfect combo.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015

T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

It depends on your needs. For couch surfing, PDF reading and casual gaming, nothing beats the iPad. For everything else, except hardcore gaming and heavy photo/video editing, the MB.

6. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

One has nothing to do with the other. I have the rmb and several different size tablets -- samsung 8", 10' and 12" and use them for different things. But i have found that the rmb, base gold, is my go to. I feel you can do without tablets with the rmb if necessary.

7. Z3man macrumors 6502a

I find the MB much better for couch surfing than the iPad, my iPad never gets used now.

8. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

I've used my iPad for 4 years as my only device but the rMB beats the iPad on everything (but I am biased!). Even couch surfing and pdf reading. I have it on my lap and do not have to hold it. Big plus. The screen is adjustable in all angles. It is almost as light as the (original) iPad and definitely if you need/want a keyboard to it that is not as adjustable and stable as the rMB.
    And as mentioned above: osX is much better for production in my case compared to iPad1/ iOS 5. The newer iPads have certainly improved but I don't have any experience there.
    The only thing I use my iPad for is as a cardplotter when traveling in the dark at sea. For that it is still great.

9. David58117 macrumors 65816

I returned the iPad Pro..aside from the pencil, there was really no need for it. It was bigger than the rMB, and carrying two devices was a bit redundant.

I do think the rMB fills the iPad's roll nicely.

Well it and my iPhone 6+

10. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

I replaced my iPad Air with my rMB. I cringe to type this because I hate this phrase, but here goes..."I haven't looked back."

11. SteveJUAE macrumors 68020

SteveJUAE

Smartphone and a rMB why would you need an intermediate device that is completely covered by the other two, other than you have a mid size screen you can hold a bit longer than the rMB and a bit less than a smartphone

A bit pricy for a convenient consumption toy IMO if you have a smartphone+rMB

12. BarcelonaPaul Suspended

For me, the iPad MINI works great for portable business use such as visiting clients - showing HD video, design, PDFs etc and it's great for watching a film whilst travelling by plane.
    My MacBook is my digital hub and I use it permanently at home along with my iPhone - just these two and an Apple TV.

13. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

iPhone 6s Plus and rMB here.

Sold iPad, really no need for me to have it as my 6s Plus works fine for quick browsing and rMB for typing or more detailed work.

"Your mileage may vary" :)

14. midorigal macrumors newbie

I'm kinda the reverse I've primarily used my iPad, had pretty much all the versions, currently using an Air 2 and still love it. I've been needing a new laptop but since I'm not in school anymore the need was not that great and I balked at the new Microsoft Office subscription. My laptop got so old that I couldn't sync my iPhone or iPad and there was an opportunity to get a rmb as a gift so I jumped on it. I love the look and feel of the rmb but hardly use it for fear of the keyboard mushing and really have not had a lot of need. I still love my iPad and use it daily but am glad I have the rmb for work or heavier tasks should it come up.

15. doitdada, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015

doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

I have both and my prime use for the iPad Air 2 is reading. A bit overkill you may say, but I like the big screen, the thinness and the ability to use a browser to check for more sources on the stuff I read. I've tried using it for development and photography, but I don't feel the current stack of software along with connectivity options put it in that category.

Still a great device if you use it for what it is made for.

16. WickedPorter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

I've had the rMB since July ... my iPad went unused until September when I turned it on, wiped it, and sold it. The rMB is a portable powerhouse and in my personal experience, has saved me quite a bit of cash by eliminating my iPad tech cravings.

17. geraldem macrumors regular

what has your battery life experience been like? I think i could go that route as well, but concerned about only getting 6 or 7 hours on battery when I have been used to 10+ with iPad.

18. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Both.

I have a RMB as my thin/light notebook and my iPad Air 2 as my thin/light tablet. Notebook is necessary for work. Tablet is necessary for media on long plane flights and in bed. Neither can do the job of the other well. You need both.

BJ

19. WickedPorter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

I get 6-7 hours, which is fine with me. I have an Anker 10,000mAh battery and USB A to C adapter to plug it in if I need to run longer/am not near a charge outlet.

20. wmadan macrumors member

I have an iPhone 6s, iPad Mini 4 and rMB. The iPad is for reading ebooks, watching movies on flights, and taking handwritten notes in meetings and other office-related tasks. If I had an iPhone 6s+ I possibly wouldn't have the Mini, but the 6s+ is too big of a phone for me.

21. geraldem macrumors regular

22. Canaria macrumors member

MacBook + iPad mini 2 + iPhone 6

Macbook for iTunes, internet and mail
    iPad mini for newspapers, ebooks and casual games. Oh and Fallout Pipboy :p
    iPhone for calls, messages and music (car)

23. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

iPhone 6s plus
    iPad Pro
    rMB
    5k iMac or mac pro ( coming soon )

24. Elise macrumors 6502

Agree with BJ I need and use both. My mini is great for reading on the train or on flights; whereas rMB is great for doing work. It really is the best of both worlds.

25. Maukey thread starter macrumors member

Well, earlier in the week I went ahead and exchanged my SP4 i5 and Type Cover for the rMB 1.2 w/ 512GB SSD. Ended up paying less for the rMB after I got Best Buy to price match B&H.

Let me say, after using the rMB for a few days, all of my worries are gone! Mainly I was concerned that the rMB would not be able to handle streaming MKV 1080p Videos to my ATV 4 using Air Video HD. It has zero issues accomplishing this task. Everything I use this laptop for has been super quick and snappy. It actually handles the day to day tasks better than the SP4 did. Also it's battery life is better, it's more stable, and it requires less maintenance. This rMB will do just fine as my main computer. It's speed concerns are extremely over exaggerated in my opinion.

Now I will go and pick up my 64GB iPad Mini 4 w/ LTE this week and I have the perfect setup for me.

Thanks to everyone for your advice!