rMB processor

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Atimix, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Atimix macrumors member

I'm a designer and run Adobe illustrator often, wanted to ask this community if I could run it on the new rMB. Also, I'm aware Skylake is around the corner, and wondered what the consensus was on waiting? I've had my current laptop for far too long and have been waiting for the rMB in the rumor mills for over a year and am looking to upgrade, but not if visibly better performance is there.

2. Thares macrumors regular

Thares

You're probably better off with the new Air or Pro. The weight difference is not that much, especially if compared to the Air.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd wait for the Broadwell MBPs to roll off the assembly line. The MB will be a bit sluggish for your needs. Yes you could also wait for Skylake if your needs are not pressing but waiting that long seems a bit extreme.

4. hans1972 macrumors regular

Macbook will probably be faster than your current Mac. If you have an old Mac with 4Gb RAM and a harddrive, the new Macbook will run Illustrator that much faster.

SSD and 8Gb RAM will speed up and unless Illustrator demands prolonged use of the CPU, the Macbook will probably run Illustrator fine.

You should wait for some review of the CPU performance since the new Macbook is fanless the CPU will throttle quite quickly.

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I would wait on the real world reviews, if the new MacBook can run without throttling it may be worth a look, equally it wont be a powerhouse and I would be more inclined to go for a 13" MBPr if portability is a concern or the 15" MBPr for the sheer performance.

Q-6

6. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

Graphic design software on a cramped 12-inch screen would be my biggest concern, personally; it's not fun, regardless that the screen is retina or not.

7. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I've been using Photoshop and Illustrator since 1999. Without having access to the new rMB I would assume you will not be able to run (smoothly) Illustrator depending on what you're using it for. It uses considerable processing power compared to Photoshop (which probably will be usable on the rMB) depending on what you're using it for.

That being said, it's anyone's guess at this point. Because software plays such a crucial role in how well a computer functions, we all have to wait until the device launches before assuming what software it can smoothly operate.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's one reason why I opted for a 15" rMBP. I had a 13" MBP but found it too constraining. It will work, but you are sacrificing a good amount of screen real estate.

9. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

If your livelihood depends on using your computer for graphics intensive work - why would you not go ahead and buy the Pro? The prices aren't too far off. The rMB could probably do what you want - you may still have to wait for benchmarks. But if time is money for you; I would get the machine that would get the job done as fast as possible for my clients.

10. Atimix, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

Atimix thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies! Honestly the portability is a huge thing to me, I will have an iMac for home but when I'm out, and that's often, I need it to be portable. The MBP can be a bit of a monster and the air lacks retina. I'll have to wait for benchmarks like you all suggested, is there a resource that shows how much demand illustrator uses? I am unable to find anything. And if anyone is aware when does Skylake come out, and would the minor upgrade be worth it in your opinion?

11. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

There will always be something new in technology that will offer another increment to what you have. Say, once Skylake comes out, there will be rumors swirling about how amazing Skypond, or whatever it is after Skylake, "could" be.

Unless, the general consensus is that an update is imminent - i.e, within the next few weeks; it is not worth it to put your livelihood on pause for a distant upgrade. Given Intel's history over the past few years starting from Sandy Bridge; none of the yearly upgrades have been a bridge too far for any machine.