rMB Screen Opinions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lbass, Jun 5, 2015.

1. lbass macrumors member

Hi all,

Interested in getting your opinions on the new rMB screen, especially from any rMBP users who have experienced the various screen problems they have had over the years.

I got my Space Grey on Tuesday (Base Model) and it is absolutely the computer I have always wanted. My only gripe is that, as with the rMBP, I'm finding the screen to be yellow. It's not extreme by any stretch, but there is no question that whites/greys have that yellow tinge. At least it doesn't exhibit a yellow tint, which the display ones in the apple store all seemed to have on the right side. It is just a fairly uniform yellow.

My favourite thing with displays is for them to have really bright whites. For whatever reason all the Apple retina products I have purchased over the last 12 months have all been on the yellow side. I do hardware calibrate and the tints can't be removed.

Any opinions from owners?

2. jairas macrumors newbie

jairas

Hi,
    Unfortunately, i have the same issue here. ;-) Went to our local apple store on Friday in order to compare the display with the demo models. No yellow displays there.

3. lbass thread starter macrumors member

Ah this is interesting. I'll have to do the same then.

4. MVPinFLA macrumors 6502

5. jairas macrumors newbie

jairas

My Color Profile says:

Manufacturer 0610
    Model A028

Pls, let us know your display information. Thx.

6. MVPinFLA macrumors 6502

I don't know where you are getting the color profile from. This is the only info I can find. This is my first Mac.

Intel HD Graphics 5300:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 5300

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x161e

Revision ID: 0x0009

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: Retina LCD

Resolution: 2304 x 1440 Retina

Retina: Yes

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

7. jairas, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015

jairas macrumors newbie

jairas

You can find the information under

Settings -> Displays -> Select Color Tab -> Open Profile -> Scroll Down to Line 17 "mmod"

8. MVPinFLA macrumors 6502

Thanks, it is:
    Manufacturer 0610
    Model A027

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

10. jairas macrumors newbie

jairas

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Warmer than my 2014 13" & 15" rMBP`s

Q-6

12. lbass thread starter macrumors member

So you find your whites white?

I have the same screen manufacturer and model. (0610 and A027)

Do you have any other computer screen in your house to compare it to? Mine is definitely more yellow than my iPhone, iPad, iMac and Dell Monitor.

In the 2015 rMBP there are A02A and A028 models. The A02A models seems to be better in those. So far we have A027 and A028 for the 2015 rMB.

13. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Q-6 Curious what panel is in your rMBP's.

sounds like A028 may be LG, and A027 may be Samsung from this characteristic.

No clue though in reality

14. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

13" rMBP 2014
    Manufacturer 0610
    Model A018

15" rMBP 2012
    Manufacturer 0610
    Model A00F

Q-6

15. lbass thread starter macrumors member

Don't know if this photo does it justice but went and checked out the MacBook in store. The display model was the A027, just like mine, and it was evident straight away that it was yellow. Compared it to the 2015 rMBP with an A029 screen, which a lot of forum users dislike, and the new MacBook 12" was significantly more yellow. In defence of the MacBook the rMBP was absolutely perfect, I tried 5 rMBPs earlier in the year and none came close to this display model. Still, I'm concerned about the A027 MacBook, definitely yellow.

Attached Files:

16. Macalway macrumors 68000

BTW, you get used to irregularities after a short time. The amount of time depends on how much your attention is focused elsewhere

17. MVPinFLA macrumors 6502

I wish I had never seen this thread. Now I am noticing that it is a bit yellowish. :eek:( Oh well, since it wasn't bothering me before, I am sure I will get used to it. It isn't as bad when the brightness is turned up; but I don't use it that bright.

18. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I had a 1.2 GHz model with the A027 screen. The display was a bit more reddish (I wouldn't really say yellowish) than a 13" rMBP I had. I eventually sold that and got a 1.3 GHz model with a A028 screen. I hate that screen, it's got a slight greenish tint and the right third was significantly dimmer than the rest making it even worse. I decided I couldn't live with it so I brought it to an Apple store and it's there now waiting for the replacement display to come in. I'll see what the replacement display is like but if it's the same I'm going back to the rMBP.

19. MVPinFLA macrumors 6502

Since I am new to Mac's I am wondering if the color sync utility in other apps will correct the yellow hue. Having never see tha app, I am concerned that. Could screw up my new baby.

20. Dayv macrumors 6502

I have this exact display, and don't notice any yellow bias. And I kinda hate yellow (given total color control, I tend to make everything too blue), so I would probably have noticed it.

21. lbass thread starter macrumors member

Good to hear that feedback from someone who understands the issue. I think the A028 must be better going off the A027 screens I have seen.