rMB: Secure Erase SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by OpDraht, Dec 27, 2015.

1. OpDraht macrumors newbie

I'm just asking if there's a possibility to do a secure erase to set up the installed SSD to "brand new" condition... I've tried an older version from Parted Magic live DVD but it seems to be incompatible with this new MacBook.

Any suggestions? :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The MacBook uses an NVMe SSD, which doesn't support the traditional ATA commands that Parted Magic uses. Currently, there's no public software for secure erasing NVMe drives, unfortunately. If you want to ensure that all data is erased, I suggest you run zero erase on the drive twice.

3. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

Usually I just run FileVault without linking to iCloud. If you erase after encrypting your data I don't think it would be recoverable by your average thief.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... that's what I have ben doing also. True on FV2 and wait for it to finish then command-option-r boot to Internet recovery and use Disk Utility to erase the entire drive. Nobody is recovering data after that.

5. OpDraht thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for the useful replies, the SSD is already encrypted with FV2.

Will the SSD get an negative impact to its performance if it's only erased and a new partition created?
    Or will TRIM protect it?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is really nothing for TRIM to protect here. All you are doing is an erase and that won't hurt anything.