rMB: Surprisingly Capable

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Brookzy, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Coming home for the Easter holidays, I was bemoaning the unfortunate conflict that arises at this time of year: my workload rises before exams, and I'm away from my beloved iMac whose display is a note-maker's dream.

However, this is the first time that I have had a 12.9" iPad with me, and a new TV at home. Wanting to utilise the TV I needed the USB-C AV Multiport adapter but couldn't stomach the ridiculous £65 ($93) Apple charges here. Luckily I found a brand new one on eBay for £30 delivered.

What about the iPad? The TV is only good for video, being so large (and video is what it shall provide... anyone watching the snooker?! :p). I really needed a second display for displaying PDFs, webpages, and some Office files. I thought I'd try Duet Display.

To my amazement, the MacBook comfortably runs its own display, a 1080p TV, and the iPad Pro running Duet Display. Effectively three screens from this tiny little thing.

Tiny, useless, underpowered netbook my ass!

I no longer dread the holidays... :D

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Nice use of Ipad :)

I'm going to have a play with http://synergy-project.org/ as it allows up to 11 OSX/Windows combos to be connected with a bit more interaction than just screen sharing and maybe get a bit more out of my old MBA etc

3. David58117 macrumors 65816

I've been very surprised by it as well.

When I bought mine, posts on here made me believe it could barely play a youtube video, and that safari was a slide show.

However - that has absolutely not been the case =D.

4. gnatmm macrumors member

gnatmm

I just replaced my 2 GHz core i7 8 Gb mid 2013 MBA with a rMB 1.2 8 GB and I will not turn back for a second. If only someone throws out a usb-c dock for desktop use, that would be perfect. While travelling simply perfect.

5. GreyStreet123 macrumors newbie

The rMB is a phenomenal machine. Plenty fast and the screen is gorgeous.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus