rMB: Surprisingly Capable

Brookzy

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 30, 2010
UK
Coming home for the Easter holidays, I was bemoaning the unfortunate conflict that arises at this time of year: my workload rises before exams, and I'm away from my beloved iMac whose display is a note-maker's dream.

However, this is the first time that I have had a 12.9" iPad with me, and a new TV at home. Wanting to utilise the TV I needed the USB-C AV Multiport adapter but couldn't stomach the ridiculous £65 ($93) Apple charges here. Luckily I found a brand new one on eBay for £30 delivered.

What about the iPad? The TV is only good for video, being so large (and video is what it shall provide... anyone watching the snooker?! :p). I really needed a second display for displaying PDFs, webpages, and some Office files. I thought I'd try Duet Display.

To my amazement, the MacBook comfortably runs its own display, a 1080p TV, and the iPad Pro running Duet Display. Effectively three screens from this tiny little thing.

Tiny, useless, underpowered netbook my ass!

I no longer dread the holidays... :D

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Coming home for the Easter holidays, I was bemoaning the unfortunate conflict that arises at this time of year: my workload rises before exams, and I'm away from my beloved iMac whose display is a note-maker's dream.

However, this is the first time that I have had a 12.9" iPad with me, and a new TV at home. Wanting to utilise the TV I needed the USB-C AV Multiport adapter but couldn't stomach the ridiculous £65 ($93) Apple charges here. Luckily I found a brand new one on eBay for £30 delivered.

What about the iPad? The TV is only good for video, being so large (and video is what it shall provide... anyone watching the snooker?! :p). I really needed a second display for displaying PDFs, webpages, and some Office files. I thought I'd try Duet Display.

To my amazement, the MacBook comfortably runs its own display, a 1080p TV, and the iPad Pro running Duet Display. Effectively three screens from this tiny little thing.

Tiny, useless, underpowered netbook my ass!

I no longer dread the holidays... :D
I've been very surprised by it as well.

When I bought mine, posts on here made me believe it could barely play a youtube video, and that safari was a slide show.

However - that has absolutely not been the case =D.

gnatmm

macrumors member
May 23, 2015
Italy
I just replaced my 2 GHz core i7 8 Gb mid 2013 MBA with a rMB 1.2 8 GB and I will not turn back for a second. If only someone throws out a usb-c dock for desktop use, that would be perfect. While travelling simply perfect.

Reactions: Brookzy