rMB thoughts from a MBA 13 i7 mid 2012 user

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by peass, May 1, 2015.

1. peass macrumors newbie

I had the first MBA, then I switched to MBA 11 and my last MBA was a 13 Mid 2012 i7 8gb. Just got my rMB.

- It is smaller than you think. Not much space to rest your hands, like the MBA 11.
    - Speed is enough and I cant complain. basic 1.1 here.
    - You will adapt faster than you think to the new keyboard. Typing sounds louder
    - I honestly cant tell the difference between the old and the new trackpad.
    - I cant say the screen is that great. It seems ok to me. I cant use the 1440x900 resolution: everything is just too small. (35 years old here)
    - Not being able to lean the screen as much as in the other macbooks may bother a little bit. Specially if you are in bed. But it seems we will get used to pretty fast

Nope, I am not too happy (specially about the size) but I am not returning it. Although I could stay with a new MBA 13, since the retina screen is not an issue to me (some people say that I will not be able to get back after using a retina for too long).

The killing machine will be an rMB 14 in a MBA13 body size.

Regards

2. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I'm 34 and I love the screen. Have sometimes run it at 1680x1050 - but it's not native and gets a bit blurry.

Also - you used an 11" MBA which has a non-retina screen at 135 DPI. And the 12" for all intents and purposes at 1440x900 is 141 DPI (just based "size" - how small things are). So the 12" should be almost indiscernible from the 11" and have the added retina "crispness" to it.

3. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

That's how I felt when the 12" rMB was rumored. What we thought was going to be a 12" screen on a 11" MacAir body. My 13" feels HUGE now. And really outdated. I'm also on the retina bandwagon now. As I stated in another thread, if I can't do the rMB I'm gonna have to go w/ a 13" rMBP. I'm pretty sure I'm sticking w/ the rMB though. :)

Also, I compared screen tilt to my 13" Air and the Air had only a slight more tilt. 2* maybe.

4. vanimal macrumors 6502a

I know EXACTLY how you feel about wanting the 14" model. That is the SINGLE reason stopping me from getting the current 12" model. For a guy my size 6'4 230 with BIG BIG hands its just simple impossible to type on it. Not to mention i personally notice that 1.3" screen difference from my 2015 MBA 13".

I have also owned a 13" MBPR in the past and while its a smaller footprint i do prefer the 13" MBA footprint. Just simple more area to rest my hands and not have them getting knifed on the palm from being off the edge. I have just about 9.5" hands so i NEED that surface area!

So in V2 if they bring out that 14" version its bye bye MBA :)

5. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Screen isn't that great? Then MBA's screen must have looked like extra crappy to you. rMB screen is indeed spectacular and infinitely better than the one in MBA.

Just some facts. ;)

6. peass thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean, I just cant notice. Maybe I would say the colors are 'more colorful', but it is not like a cant-live-without difference. I will try again my old macbook air after some days, so I will be able to see if I will complain about the old screen.

7. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

At the very least, viewing angles are much better with the rMB compared with the MBA