rMB & Ultra Wide Screen Dell U3415W

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ahboyd, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Ahboyd macrumors member

Ahboyd

In case someone looking for an info on this monitor...

I just got my (4 days) Dell U3415W with Macbook 12" 1.2GHz El Capitan connect to the monitor via HDMI and using Apple's USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter.

I will be talking about which most reviews on the internet won't mention so you have would have better info.

- Volume up/down won't work right off from your keyboard. My work around is to hook up a speakers with an external volume button. And the volume adjusts on the monitor is a soft button which somewhat difficult to access when suddenly the video sound is very loud.

- Mirroring display can't display full 3440x1440 on the monitor. It will have black margin on the left and right side of the screen. See picture below
    [​IMG]

- After awake from sleep, the resolution is still set at 3440x1440. However, it will be shrunken down and you can see black margin on 4 sides like picture below. The work around is the refresh the resolution to whatever and choose 3440x1440 again!
    [​IMG]

- Monitor stand is highly adjustable considering most OEM monitor stand won't be this flexible. The highest point of the lowest adjustment would be 15 3/4" and the highest point for the highest adjustment is 20". This is good for your neck.

- Find a good windows management utility.. I'm currently trying out Moom and BetterSnapTool. They are pretty good. However, sometime it would have a hick up like it won't do resizing properly then i had to restart the computer.

Anyway, these are my 4 days observation. Generally are very happy with the monitor. Great color, minimal back lights bleed (provided that you are not in a dark dark room).

2. hiler88 macrumors newbie

hiler88

Hi - Kinda hoping you can help me with an issue I'm experiencing with my Ultrawide setup. I just picked up a Dell U3415W and have it connected to my 2015 rMB via Apple's USB-C to HDMI adapter. All was running smoothly but I've noticed every 30 minutes or so that the screen will cut completely(black screen) for a second or two then come back on. I've worked through a number of scenarios to test this and it's happening when the rMB is in clamshell mode and extended mode. Any ideas? Just wondering if I need to update drivers or anything? Hopefully you've experienced this issue too and found a solution.

Thanks! :)