rMB vs iPP....Another indecisive thread by me

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Maukey, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Maukey macrumors member

Okay, in short, purchased a SP4 because I wanted portability and I thought I needed a workhorse for video encoding. After using, I discovered that I didn't like the battery life or maintenance required, and also discovered that I didn't need to do encoding anymore thanks to Air Video HD. Exchanged the SP4 for the rMB. I 100% prefer the rMB to the SP4. Better battery life, more portable, better as a laptop. However, I purchased my son an iPad Air 2 for Christmas. In setting that up and fooling around with it, I started realizing how much I miss my old iPad 3.

So here's my dilemma, I currently have an iPhone 5s and ATV 4 for personal use. I have a 14" Lenovo Laptop that my job supplied me for work, I CAN NOT do anything personal on this laptop. My wife has a Chromebook that I do have access to. And of course I am a new owner of a 1.2 rMB w/ 512GB SSD. So what's my dilemma you ask? I have been thinking about exchanging my rMB for the 128GB iPP w/ LTE and here's why.

All I do on my rMB is Web Browsing, Email, light Document and Spreadsheet work, Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Torrents to backup some of my favorite blurays, Streaming MKV videos to my Apple TV, and Emulators of my classic games I own, and most of this is done on my couch. The problem is, it seems that the iPP can do all of this equal to or better than my rMB; well everything except for the Emulators. But my thinking is the iPP's many games in the App Store would offset my Emulation desire. Most say that the iPP has better battery life, is more powerful, better as a consumption device, better for use on the couch, just as portable, and more immersive. And now that I have put most of my 4+ GB Movies in iCloud and no longer have need for an external drive, I've been asking myself what is stopping me from getting the iPP instead? My answer to that is 1, the rMB is one of Apple's finest devices in my opinion, and 2, fear that my needs will change and I will need the MacBook down the line. So here's where my fellow forum members come in.

Taking into account my use cases and devices that I already own/have access to, which would you choose and why? Or if you have an alternate solution please feel free to share.

Thanks in Advance!

2. geraldem macrumors regular

Same boat. Struggling with the same exact issue. Right now I have both and have been using the IPP more. The apps and battery life are just better. But it got such a great deal on the rMB I don't want to return it to BB. So might keep both.

3. donmon macrumors newbie

I have had both but I kept my MacBook. I would say stay with the MacBook for the versatility. The IPP is a lot of fun but you are somewhat limited. The MB is a full computer so you get everything that comes with that. Anyway, just my opinion.

Don

4. infernoguy macrumors regular

infernoguy

How timely... I'm in the same boat. I have a 2013 13 inch rMBP and I've been thinking about selling the rMBP and replacing it with either a rMB or iPP. The rMB intrigues me but I'm worried about the physical size. I'm a big guy (6' 3") and having a smaller laptop was always the reason I didn't like the MBA 11.

5. Maukey thread starter macrumors member

** Update ** Today I found another huge advantage for the rMB. Shortly after I made this thread my wife asked me to start looking at planning a Disney World Vacation for the kids for Spring Break. I thought hey no problem. So I pulled out the rMB and begin researching Disney World pricing. Not even 10 mins into my research she comes and asks me if I've made a digital copy of my son's Minions movie. He was wanting to watch the movie but she was in the middle of watching one of her shows. I said no problem. So I quickly grabbed a Minion's Torrent I found online and fired up Transmission. While that was running in the background I continued my Disney World Research in Safari. Shortly after that I needed to make a FaceTime call to my daughter so I opened up FaceTime in a new space and quickly called my daughter. While talking to her I fired up Safari in split screen with FaceTime and continued my research while talking to my daughter. After I hung up with her I opened up two windows in Safari and ran them split screen so that I could conveniently compare prices from two different sites. Shortly after, I opened up Notes and ran it split screen with Safari. I began jotting down some key points that I found in my research so that I could discuss them with my wife. I then shared my notes with her via Messenger. Keep in mine that I'm doing all of this while Transmission is downloading my Minions movie in the background. I had a total of about 6 Spaces open while downloading the movie, without a hitch might I add since the rMB is suppose to be "really slow". Finally, I noticed that I had about 5 minutes left in my download, which only took about 30 mins total to download the 4+ GB file, so I thought why not have a little fun. So I fired up my SNES Emulator and played my backup copy of Punch Out for a few minutes, again without a hitch. Shortly after I heard a ding indicating that my download had finished. I paused Punch Out, did a quick swipe to the space where Transmission was, and closed it out. I then navigated to my download location and did a quick verification to make sure I was happy with the results of the download. Once I confirmed, I went back to playing Punch Out.

Now you may be asking what is the point of this big wall of text LOL? The point is, doing all of this on the iPad Pro would have been a headache. First of all, you can not download Torrents in the background, you have to stay in the App or it will automatically pause. Second, you don't have to worry if the Apps support split screen in OS X, it all just works. This really made me reevaluate my decision. I think I'm going to keep the rMB and either get a Mini 4 or wait on the possibility of an Air 3 in March.

6. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I got rid of my IPP and got the rmb when Best Buy had their sale. I then purchased an iPad mini 4 at $100 off at Best Buy. I am very happy with that combination.

7. double329 macrumors 6502

I had both IPP and rMB. I ended up returning both. I like the form factor of both machines. But, IPP lacks optimized apps for its screen size and rMB lacks CPU power for me. I will consider pick one of these up again when there are more optimized apps for IPP or rMB got new refresh with better CPU. I am leaning toward the rMB though...

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Retina Macbook, iPad Pro is currently only a consumption device therefore by default limiting it`s usage. The Retina MacBook is by default far more versatile system. Price for price it`s a simple discussion, equally as ever the usage determine all...

Q-6

9. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

I have both and both have different uses. iPad Pro mainly for consumption and the rmb to do real work. With the duet app, I use the iPad as a second screen to my rmb. If I had to give up one device, it would be the iPad. Need my full os and use of a mouse, and I can't afford to fumble around with workarounds if I travel for work.

10. Serban Suspended

iPP without that smart keyboard or logitech one is limited, i use both iPP and rmb, and I'm keeping them both

11. TommyBoy5 macrumors member

Apples and Oranges. Seriously. I've used my rMB since the day it came out. 280 cycles on the battery already. I loaded everything from my work onto it and now just have this one small laptop to take everywhere. We have three iPads in the house. I haven't picked one up in 6 months. No need. I'd rather watch a movie on my rMB than on any iPad. I like the file system, trackpad, console for tweaking, etc.

I actually played around with the iPP for 30 minutes in the Apple Store the other day. The pen was, uh, ok. The keyboard. Ugh. The size - cumbersome.

For my use - business and pleasure - there is no comparison. And the nice size of the rMB is the winning bonus.

12. David58117 macrumors 65816

Both for me!

I definitely prefer the rMB, but the iPad pro has it beat when laying in bed before sleep. Especially watching movies while the wife is asleep, and I'm with insomnia.