rMB wifi disconnects, reconnects frequently - common issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sean Dempsey, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I have a gold rMB where the wifi will disconnect for a minute, then reconnect. Happens every maybe 15 minutes, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Is there a known issue around this? Anyone else experiencing this?

2. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Not happening to me, it's been rock solid.

Perhaps there is a bad setting on your router or it's assigned to a channel where others in your neighborhood are broadcasting.

BJ

3. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Very much depends how you initially set up your Mac and what router you are using, in general it`s not so common, equally forums obviously attract those with issue.

Q-6

5. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

It's uncommon with the rmb or any other mac laptops that I know about and have and it's also uncommon in osx. You have an issue, it's clear, with your wifi, or your router or the modem card in your rmb. Have yiu checked it with another wifi system.

6. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I'm afraid I beg to differ. I had the problem with my rMBP and now my rMB. It isn't the router, it is something in OS X that's causing it. Haven't yet found the fix.

Here's the problems I've been experiencing on both machines.

I found that disabling Bluetooth helps somewhat, but other than that a restart every few days.

7. asaggynoodle macrumors member

asaggynoodle

I never had any issues really as far as the Wifi is concerned. I use a 1300Mb/s 5Ghz AC setup so perhaps there is a large differential there, but it should be the same. The Atheros chip inside the rMB is one of the best i've ever used (This is coming from someone that has multiple Server Grade laptops that costs a few times of these machines). I HIGHLY recommend trying out the latest El Capitan Beta. It has given me such a renewed experience on this machine it's wonderful. On Mavericks I had so many issues with UI lag when swiping between desktops it was unbearable. Now i'm smooth as butter (Guessing it was a driver update involved). I believe El Capitan releases soon anyways if you want to wait for the Public Release.

If not, backup with time machine and nuke your current install via the Recovery mode. You should not be having these issues.

8. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I am using a flat-style Airport Extreme. No other device on my network experiences it. I suppose I could get a USBC to USB adapter and backup to an external and try restoring it. I was mainly curious if this was a known issue. Or perhaps and apple store could more easily do it since USBC externals are not available, right?

9. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I also use an apple router - time machine.
    On the Apple devices get the wifi issue. It had reduced since the last update but still not perfect and no interference for other devices.

10. asaggynoodle macrumors member

asaggynoodle

I'd check out a USB to USBC adapter on ebay or the like. They are going to charge you quite a bit for the "Official" USB hub/adapter. It cost me $80 I believe for the one with the HDMI/USB/USBC break out. I't a great hub, but $80 is way to much to be honest. I'm thinking you could get the cables for like sub ~$10 on Ebay or Amazon. I just back up my install to my USB sticks instead of a discrete drive(128GB).

But I would highly recommend nuking your drive and doing the Internet Recovery. I'm almost positive it's some sort of a software bug of configuration file that decided to go its own way.

Question >> Do you use the 2.4GHz Channel or the 5GHz channel on your router? (Assuming it has both)

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

That`s a MicroSoft solution, Wi-Fi dropouts on Mac`s are related to the Network setup or the physical router, there is no need to "nuke" the drive. I have never had a significant issue with Mac portables and Wi-Fi. My portable Mac`s connect to a multitude of networks as a function of my business. Delete all networks, delete Wi-Fi start afresh, same issues persist try the concerned system on a different routers.

Q-6

12. asaggynoodle macrumors member

asaggynoodle

It seems like a lot of people get these problems after software updates. Bugs are no more apparent in Microsoft products as they are in Apple software; It just happens sometimes. I cannot tell you how many issues upgrading/wiping the drive has cleared up for me personally.

Seems to be some solutions here if you have not tried yet before you go through wiping/network diagnostics.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6601867

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Settings are settings, getting things right is what`s important. OS X is Unix Based, not MS Windows, never had reason to wipe OS X, that`s not how it works...

Q-6

14. asaggynoodle macrumors member

asaggynoodle

I never said anything that discredited that notion. All I was saying was that some random setting or preference might have gotten broken (as in not what is preferred) and it may be quicker just to refresh the whole thing than spend countless hours trying to make repairs. It depends on how worthy your time is. Every operating system has its problems, I think pretending that it doesn't apply to OS X is just being ignorant. That's why we have the bug tracker, and a few dozen bugs that get patched every day.

If something is not working as it should, there is no reason to make excuses. Wipe that install and start fresh so everything works as it should. If it still doesn't work you know that it's either your network itself or a hardware problem. With Time machine being so perfected anyways, I fail to see what the big deal is refreshing your OS install and just clicking a button to put all your files/software back to the way it was before.

15. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

"Wipe away" my time is fairly "worthy" hence the last thing I would do is eradicate the OS to fix a basic networking problem. As for Time Machine that will catch up with you, it has it`s fair share of Apple`s bugs...

Q-6