rMBP 13" 128 or 256gb?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redri, Aug 11, 2014.

1. redri macrumors newbie

I'm about to pull the trigger on a rMBP 13" but I have some questions to the folks with some experience of these computers.
    Right now i am leaning towards the entry level model but with the slightly better i5 cpu (because of really good benchmark results compared to the previous i7 cpu). It feels like the best of two worlds.

But the big question is about the SSD, is 128gb enough or is it just way to small?
    Or is there some other benefits with a bigger SSD except the bigger storage?

As of today i am doing very much web browsing, a lot of youtube (watching), some handbrake and just some ordinary computer stuff. For this purpose the 128gb should be more than enough i think.
    But i am/have been a big fan of making music (i am a former guitarist) and i am going to use some Logic Pro X.
    And with a newborn daughter i am sure there is going to be a ton of photos and some videos too. And for fun i am sure that aperture is going to be used for some photo editing and iMovie for the videos.

What do you guys/girls think, do i need more than 128gb storage OR is there any other benefits with the 256gb as to what i am doing?

Worth mentioning is that i am also going to buy a 2tb external USB 3.0 WD MyBookStudio as a central storage unit. But that storage is only available at home when the rMBP is connected to our workspace. So when we are on the go/vacation and so on i am thinking of buying a USB 3.0 64 or 128gb flash stick.

128 or 256???

2. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Defiantly 256GB, and yes make sure you can back up your photos on your vacation.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

256 is the workable minimum now....I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple make 240 the entry level SSD size. 128 really isn't enough now.

4. Meister, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

256 is not the workable minimum now. A lot of people are fine with 128.

How much storage space you need is up to every person themselves.
    For storing vacation files I believe it should be fine.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Another vote for 256, you'll quickly find that the 128 is inadequate.

6. redri thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds like 256gb is almost the only way to go. The only downside i think is the price tag for going up to 256 since the update (now you only got double the storage, before you got double the ram too for the same price increase). My heart, soul and conscience tells me that 200 for only that storage is a bit much to pay.

So my initial thought was to buy a 2tb external hdd and a super fast 64gb USB memory stick (i can get both for almost the same price as the upgrade cost to 256gb). Then use the 2tb storage at home when making music, editing photos and so on. And when/if i am out or at friends i will use the internal storage when making music and transfer the finished work to the 64gb memory stick and use the stick to save photos when editing them (elsewhere they will stay on the cameras memory card until i get home).

But i don't know, maybe I don't have that much space left after all the apps and programs are installed anyways, and then it only feels stupid not to go for 256. Anyone out here that can share a little thought about this?

And thanks for the previous answers.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I still think you'll be better off with the 256GB SSD. What you propose may work but, that's the thing. you'll be finding work arounds for the limited storage for the foreseeable future, do you really want to do that for the next 3-4 years?

Why not get a properly configured laptop now and don't worry about finding work arounds for limited storage. Just my $.02.

8. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

I'm currently using a PC with a 128GB SSD, my data is on a HDD as are all my Steam games. For its part the SSD is doing well with just Windows, Photoshop, Office etc etc. If you're a heavy gamer or program user then you might need more. It's a no-go if you want to use Parallels or Bootcamp.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

i wouldn't bother with the 2014 rmbp base.
    Get the 2.4/8/256 2013 config on a discount or, if money is an issue, the base config from 2013 on a discount.

10. ihonda macrumors 68000

could always throw in a 128gb or larger nitfydrive or pnyEDGE..

11. TechZeke, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I'm waiting for the 15" rMBP Nifty Drive. It apparently wont come until September, even though they show a 15" rMBP on the front page of their site.

OP: Only you can determine that. I only use ~100GB or so on my 256 so it's not like 128 is dreadfully small.

12. redri thread starter macrumors newbie

You are all right, 256 it is or i am going to regret it big time later. Money is not the issue its just that the heart is telling me "do not give apple that money for only the storage bump" :p
    But it feels like they are winning again.

13. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

Definitely get the 256GB... I'd say you'll find it way more useful than the CPU bump. I don't think it's very useful to turn this into a "principles" thing - get what is best for your needs... 256GB would be the minimum in that regard.

14. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

For you, 256 is the workable minimum. I've got 82 of 128GB free on my machine. Some people use cloud storage or really aren't digital pack rats.

OP go for the 2013 8/256 refurb. It's a much better deal.

15. Rbk23 macrumors regular

I just returned my 256gb for a 128gb.

I couldn't justify the extra $230 with tax for 128gb of space. That was almost a $2 a GB premium.

I have a tb hdd so I can just put stuff on that. I don't see me ever needing over 128gb on the go.

16. nostresshere macrumors 68030

128 could work. Personally, my decision was more between 256 and 512. Opted to do the 256 and with a new install (vs 4+ year old machine) it is doing okay. I have ordered the 128 SD card for some offloading.

I think 128 will work for lots of people, but if you do much in video, audio or photo, it can get eaten up in a hurry.

17. ano0oj macrumors 6502

128gb should be fine, I would keep a external HD for long-term storage of photos/projects