rmbp 13" 2015 or new 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beerglass007, May 20, 2015.

1. beerglass007 macrumors 6502

Hi all

I currently have an iMac 21.5" totally max out and totally max out mid 2014 rmbp 13"

I brought a new dell 60hz 4K monitor and love it. My 2013 rmbp runs ok ish at 30hz but isn't really man enough and lags on external monitor

I'm sold on the monitor and so what a new laptop. I'm going to sell the iMac because i'm not at my desk so much

So i'm going to sell the iMac and 13" rmbp and get either the newer 2015 13" or 15" released this week with a dgpu

What would you guys get ?

The difference between a maxed out 13" and 15" isn't massive. I've fallen in love with the 13" form factor but its doesn't have that new GPU

I want 16GB ram for VM ware, I might fire up a game once or twice. Very rarely really.

But worried the iris 6100 isn't that great with 60hz.(Thats what i'm reading on here )

Help !!!!!!

2. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Apple just updated the 15" with AMD, but I've always heard they heat too much. I think you should wait. Also i think the 15" doesn't have broad well chips. The 13" is not bad but it seems you are going to be running a lot of apps, so i think the quad-core would be nice for you.

3. MacbookPro2015 macrumors member

My dell 4K monitor just came in today. I'll let you know my findings on my 2015 13 MBP when I get home.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

That was true with the AMD cards in 2011, but the rMBPs have a far better thermal design than the cMBPs, and the TDP of the M370X has to be at least equal or less than the 750M used in the previous rMBP. So generally it should be safe.

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

What is your source on the AMD chip's tdp?

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's common sense. Apple has to use an equal or lower TDP compared to the previous generation, otherwise it would exceed the thermal capabilities of the rMBP's design.

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

We don't know the limits of the thermal design after the update, but I don't expect a big difference in tdp either.

8. MacbookPro2015 macrumors member

Dell 4K monitor looks fantastic! Runs at 60hz out of the box without any issues. I have it running with my 13" retina screen, my old 1080p screen and my new 4K display with 1080p scaling. EVERYTHING RUNS SMOOTH...SYSTEM WISE. 4K videos play fantastic with all monitors on. Youtube4K videos play great....when my bandwidth isn't slowed.

I do get pretty terrible lag when it comes to using expose...literally moves at like 1 frame per second. The app launcher is pretty smooth tho.

In summary the 13 inch MBP runs great with a 4K monitor with the retina display on and a 3rd monitor attached.I can imagine it being very annoying if you're a person that needs to do rapid app switching on the go tho as expose is pretty terrible. To me it isn't a big deal as I usually spend hours browsing my chrome/safari and rarely need to use it...you could also just use the good ol command+tab to cycle through applications.