rMBP 13" 256Gb vs rMBP 15" base vs MBA 13" 256Gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dragonev, Oct 24, 2012.

1. dragonev macrumors member

Ordered rMBP 13" straight after the presentation and now wondering whether to return it.

For me mobility is very important. The main things I do are Office/Browsing/Movies with occasional connections to external displays.
    Money difference between three is not an issue to me.

Thus, I am wondering whether quad-core and nvidia worth going for 15" and, thus, had a bulkier piece of equipment.

MBA I believe is out of the equation since it is a bit outdated.

I cannot wait for Haswell, because I have a month left to get my HE discount.

What do you think?

2. Maczor macrumors regular

If you don't mind the 15" footprint ( which ain't that huge compared to the 13" ), then you'll surely get more performance out of the 15" model. On the other hand, the stuff you say you do wouldn't really need more power.

It's really your call. I've ordered a 13" rMBP myself ( maxed out version )... I am not regretting the purchase at all. I'm a software engineer, working in the finance sector and I for sure push my notebook harder than casual users. If it can fit my needs ( running servers, VMs, multiple stuff at the same time, etc. ), it surely can handle some light work...

3. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Sorry but despite your comment about the MBA being out of date (which it isnt btw), its still a better option based on your needs.

You dont need a beefy machine, and to give you some context my OLD MBA (a 2011 model, 11" with just 64mb Intel HD 3000 on-board graphics) was able to run the likes of Portal 2, GTA IV, etc without any problems.

The pro is a lot more powerful than you may think - you cant read into CPU clock speeds anymore as they mean absolutely nothing when it comes to performance.

Basically you have paid all that extra money just for the screen, as none of the other performance differences will mean anything based on your usage.

4. dragonev thread starter macrumors member

I sticked with dual-core i5 - is there a so big difference between it and dual-core i7 (I mean not benchmark numbers, but the difference you can feel on the daily basis)?

Currently I have cMBP 13" i7 2.7GHz and it is actually heavy, a bit bulky and has only 128Gb SSD. So for me the above-mentioned tradeoff is actually between weight/size and performance...

----------

Thanks for your opinion. I've overpaid just £200 which is fine with me.

5. dndandrea macrumors 6502

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Not sure how much your discount is but if its anything near the educational discount you're getting robbed. Why on earth wouldn't you spend an extra $100 for the 15" rMBP? Faster processor, dedicated graphics card, larger display. The weight won't be that much of a difference so I don't understand how anyone would say one is more portable than the other.

Also if one argues "well i don't need all the stuff that is in the 15" retina display" then get the damn $1100 13" MBP and save your money.

Plus buying the 13" 256GB vs the 128GB is like getting robbed. You literally are spending $300 for 128GB of hard drive space upgrade. That's it, that's all. Stop throwing money at apple for such a tiny upgrade.

6. Maczor macrumors regular

I doubt you'd notice the difference between i5 and i7. It's like when comparing screens. "Real" differences you can easily spot when you put a crappy screen next to a non-crappy screen... but if you'd been using the crappy screen without knowing that "public belief" considers it crappy, I'm quite sure you'd be just as happy as if it were a "non-crappy" screen.

You know the saying: Ignorance is bliss... By this I'm not saying: "pay a crap-load of money for something that sucks", all I'm saying is "don't overreact"... I'm sure this ain't your first computer... things were a lot slower and worse ( compared to today's things ) 2-3 years back. Did people not buy / use computers then? Of course they did... and many of them were even extremely happy with what they had.

7. dndandrea macrumors 6502

I'm talking about value per your hard earned money. If that's not the case I said he'd be happy with the $1000 13" MBP since he doesn't utilize the performance. Or hell he'd even be fine with a cheaper MBA or original white macbook.

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I would wait for the Haswell 13in rMBP with dedicated GPU.
    Or go with the new MBA if it comes out.

9. RMSko macrumors 6502

Agreed. The 15" only weighs 25% more than the 13", which IMO is not much at all. I was really expecting the 13" to be much lighter than the 15". I have the 15" and was thinking of trading it in for the 13", but now that I've seen the actual 13", no way I'm gonna do that. The price and weight differential isn't significant enough, and the hardware of the 15" is significantly better than the 13" which for me makes the 15" the clear choice. That said, it's a personal decision and everyone has to factor in their own circumstances before making their choice.

10. Maczor, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

Maczor macrumors regular

Sorry, my reply was intended to answer dragonev's last question. It had nothing to do with your reply.

But since you've brought it up... Just because someone decides to pay $$$$ or $$$$$$$ on a product ( be it a notebook, car, pen, pencil, gold-plated tissue, etc. ), it doesn't necessarily mean he "doesn't value money". It could easily mean: "he values other things more" or "the amount that seems huge to some, is hamburger money for him". No one is forcing you to pay $$$$ for something you don't like / don't think you'd be happy with... but I don't think it's smart to start bashing on people just because they have the budget to get whatever they want / like... your advice / opinion is more than welcome ( without the bashing part of course ).

If the MBA rocks your World, feel free to buy a truckload ;)

EDIT: Ok, I have just noticed you changed your comment a moment before I quoted you. Well, again, it's not up to us to decide what is "right" or what is "wrong". For sure, for hes needs, performance ain't a really critical factor... so it comes down to aesthetics and such.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

it really sounds like you should be using an Air and saving yourself a lot of money. You have zero need for a retina pro

12. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

Isn't it 1lb of a difference? If so, that's a lot.

13. El Salvador macrumors member

Why are you so sure that Apple is putting a dGPU in the 13" rMBP next year?

14. AlexBass macrumors regular

The quad-core of the 15" does tempt me more than the 13"

15. Maczor macrumors regular

He is just daydreaming...
    Building up the hype for next year's disappointment :D

16. dragonev thread starter macrumors member

Well. I approached Customer Service on the return. And for now we will see what I am destined to - if they will be able to cancel this 13" order, I will get 15". If not, than so be it=)

----------

Can't wait for Haswell my Higher Education discount will expire after the graduation which will happen in December.

17. El Salvador macrumors member

You're probably right :D

18. dragonev thread starter macrumors member

For those who wait for Haswell, I have to say that it might become even more expensive=) so I won't bet all my bucks on it=)

19. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Oh they will have to.
    And that how Apple do their business.
    Sell a gadget with only partial new things and in few months or a year, they sell a higher spec of it.
    Thats what they did with the 4th Gen iPad this time.

But with all these users complaining about rMBP with no dedicated GPU, Apple will be forced to put it on.

20. pgiguere1, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Except the iPad, or "S" iPhone upgrades, are different. Changing a CPU/GPU or camera doesn't require a redesign of all the internal layout. You just replace the upgraded component and that's it. It just works as long as they're not physically bigger than before. That's what is done with incremental Mac updates too.

What you're suggesting, adding a dGPU, is different, as it would require a complete internal redesign of the 13" rMBP, changing the logic board shape, cooling system, battery placement, etc.

Given that the external design is literally custom-built according to the internal design so that everything fits together like a puzzle and not a single millimeter of space is wasted, it would be unlikely for Apple to have an internal redesign without doing an external one.

In fact, I don't recall them ever having done that. And for the sake of the economy of scale and high profit margins, Apple do as little external redesigns as possible.

Apple knows that they can't please everybody and even if they put a dGPU in there, people would still complain about the even higher price, added heat, and poorer battery life. They won't change their long-term plan and start the design over because of a couple complains on some forums. That would be like expecting them to have non-soldered RAM in next year's rMBPs.

In other words, don't get your hopes up for a dGPU next year. It should matter less and less with time anyway since iGPUs are evolving at a faster pace than dGPUs. What I would expect however is a price drop when the regular 13" MBP is removed.

21. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Just wait in see.
    In year or two, there will be a 13in with dedicated graphics.
    Apple will have to do this in order to keep up.

22. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

If you insist on being disappointed...

23. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Computers are going the other way - the 13" macbook pro in my sig was the last one to have dGPU, and with ultra books becoming all the rage I doubt their will be a focus on compact graphics workhorses.

24. magbarn macrumors 68000

No point for apple to do this when the HD5000 in Haswell will have 2x the performance of the HD4000 in Ivy bridge. That's more powerful than the previous mac mini's 6630M and about par with Nvidia's low end dGPU 630M. This year's rMBP 13 and mid range mini that had it's discrete GPU ripped out are stop-gap measures just like my ipad 3. The rMBP 15 isn't so crippled as it has a very good Nvidia GPU to fall back on and given that there are no dGPU process shrinks scheduled for 2013 in time with Haswell, the next rMBP 15 will have mostly a CPU/iGPU boost.

25. stevelam macrumors 65816

why are you even bothering to mention 'waiting for haswell'. you basically do nothing on a computer. just get an MBA if portability is your main requirement. it will be more than enough for your needs unless you just want to spend money like an idiot.