rMBP 13" and 15" Best Bang For Buck - General User

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacLifer, Oct 29, 2012.

1. MacLifer macrumors member

What is the best bang for the buck for the average, general user? Think top of a bell curve here. Not just a email/web browser, but also not a hardcore gamer/video encoder. I am thinking of the general user who covets the nice display, the build quality of Apple, and might do a bunch of different things with his/her laptop.

My thinking is:

rMBP 13" - The base model is the best bang for the buck. 2.5 Ghz dual-core i5, with 8GB RAM and 128 GB SSD. Processor bump to i7 is not worth $200. And once you hit 256 GB SSD, you might as well shell out the extra $200 for the rMBP 15". Plus you can add your own SSD down the line once prices go down even more.

rMBP 15" - The base model bumped to 16GB of RAM is the best bang for the buck. Don't upgrade SSD at those prices. Just buy your own and upgrade. The processor upgrades are not worth the cost. But the RAM upgrade future proofs you for a while as that cannot be upgraded after shipping.

Agree?

2. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

Best bang for buck would be an Air if you HAVE to have an Apple product. The retinas are priced as premium products...