rMBP 13" battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Oz., Sep 5, 2015.

1. Oz. macrumors regular

Oz.

55 cycles and my battery is at 92.2% capacity...

is this ok?

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 3.07.11 PM.png

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's just an estimate. What does it show when the battery is full?

3. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Not a big fan of coconutBattery but the thing to look at in your image is "Maximum Charge" vs "Design capacity"

What coconutBattery refers to as "Maximum Charge" is what OS X refers to as 100% Battery. Design capacity with regard to Retina MacBook Pros is a portion higher than advertised capacity... I would presume that Apple is aware that batteries wear as they go through cycles.. and thus have created a design with redundancies so the battery wear takes a lot longer to start becoming an issue...

Don't worry about this.. your cycle count is so low that IF you had a battery issue.. Apple would MOST LIKELY warranty it..

Just enjoy your MBP

4. Oz. thread starter macrumors regular

Oz.

Maximum charge right now 5864 mAh and the design capacity is 6330 mAh from what says coconutbattery...

5. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I thought it didn't matter with how much you charge the laptop with the laptop batteries now

6. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Ignore coconut battery. It's highly inaccurate. I have two new MacBook Pros in which it says the capacity is between 97-99%. When I reboot the computers, it changes.

Coconut battery used to be accurate several years ago but something changed.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Coconut battery is dead on accurate and always shows the exact same numbers as OS X does from the Power section of System Report. All Coconut battery does is take those numbers and do the math to display the percentages, but they are accurate. You can compare the Coconut numbers and the System Report numbers yourself and see they are always the same.

What often causes confusion is the percentage displayed by Apple in the menu bar is fudged to show 100% when it is not really at 100% charged.

8. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Then how come one day my battery showed 98.4%. I rebooted, it jumped up to 99.9%. Two hours later it changed to 98.7% all while plugged in. It changes on a daily basis while being plugged in the whole time. Both of my new MBPs are the same way.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What does that have to do with Coconut battery? It just shows what the OS reports. Like I said, open System Report and look at the Power section and you will see it reports exactly what the OS is showing.

10. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I didn't mean to sound like I was upset with you. I am fine with the way the MBP is working. They are new. I have a warranty for a reason if I ever need it and I will get Apple Care on these. Thanks for the replies.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No sweat... I did not take it that you were upset at all. :)

There just always seems to be a lot of confusion on here surrounding both batteries and Coconut battery.

Enjoy your Sunday.