rMBP 13" Brightness on Windows 8.1 x64

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kondrat, Jan 25, 2014.

1. kondrat macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've googled for this issue and i've found many potential solves of my problem:
    - Turning off adaptive brightness
    - disabling Light sensor in Device Manager
    - deleting SensorsAlsDriver.dll

Nothing works. I'm actually using Win 8.1 Pro x64 with the newset updates. It is fresh-installed via bootcamp manager.
    After sleeping and waking up my Mac brightness buttons magically start working!

What do I suspect?
    When i delete SensorsAlsDriver.dll and uninstall Proximity sensor in Device Manager, after reboot Windows re-installs the sensor, and re-apply the .dll file.
    I dont have an idea how to prevent OS from doing it...and I think it is potential solution.

I've also found out that after installation of windows everything is ok.
    Although I'd like to have a up to date system...

Could someone help me solving this problem?

2. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

3. kondrat thread starter macrumors newbie

Buttons "brightness+/brightness -" does not work. The brightness bar displays on the screen, but the brightness does not change.

After making my mac sleep, and waking it up everything is fine.

4. Lipid macrumors member

Experiencing the same issue on rMBP late 2013 on Windows 8.1 with the latest updates. Just after the windows install it works fine, but ever since the Intel Iris Graphics driver is automatically updated in Windows Updates - brightness control doesn't work anymore. The workaround is the same though - put it to sleep and wake it up. Then it works normally. Awkward.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Try disabling "Generic PnP Monitor" in device manager. It's located, obviously, under the "Monitors" tab. That's what I had to do to get brightness control working correctly on my cMBP.

6. Lipid macrumors member

Seems like that doesn't work on 2013 rMBP-13 with Iris, but works on 15-inch models with dedicated graphics.

7. kondrat thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried this. It does not work on rMBP 13" Iris. :/

8. Lipid macrumors member

Can anyone confirm that the brightness control issue is resolved after updating to 5.1.5640 Bootcamp drivers? Seems like F1/F2 brightness keys now work just like they should even after full reboot.

9. kondrat thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just reinstalled Windows 8.1 x64 using the newest bootcamp drivers (the same version as you said) and everything is ok! :D

10. Lipid macrumors member

Good! Minus one problem left))

11. raed776 macrumors newbie

I have the correct bootcamp support software version (5.1.5640) but the brightness settings still are not working. Using the sleep workaround fixes it but is there anything else I can do?