rMBP 13" & Crystalwell

gametime10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
I love my 2013 rMBP 13"... But it would've loved to have an Iris 5200 in there. Is there a particular technical reason why apple didn't put that graphics system in there?

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Might be a space or a heat issue, but it could also be that Apple is just driving sales for the more expensive models.

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
Has nothing to do with Apple. Go complain to Intel. From what I read, you should not expect suitable CPUs any soon - they are supposed to come only with Skylake in two years.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Has nothing to do with Apple. Go complain to Intel. From what I read, you should not expect suitable CPUs any soon - they are supposed to come only with Skylake in two years.
Who comes up with those names? Sounds pretty epic lol

gametime10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Well, it's good to know Apple isn't just keeping stuff from their customers.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Apple could have included it, but chose not too, I can only surmise that they did it to further differentiate between the 13" and 15" model.

Another logical explanation is that it could be too hot for such a small enclosure, the small fans may not have been strong enough to evacuate the heat sufficiently

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Apple could have included it, but chose not too, I can only surmise that they did it to further differentiate between the 13" and 15" model.

Another logical explanation is that it could be too hot for such a small enclosure, the small fans may not have been strong enough to evacuate the heat sufficiently
Your second explanation is more like it.

Besides, it's not Apple's fault that dual-core processors didn't have variants with Iris Pro 5200. Blame it on Intel :D

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
This was the frist time Intel launched the edram chips and it was really more of a test run. The chips cost more to produce and the mark up makes less of a difference on the already expensive quad cores. eDram on cheap dual cores would have cost too much and was too risky for Intel. Intel would have sacrificed profit margin or volume sold depending how they priced them.

Intel promised that with Braodwell this edram should become a more commonplace thing and is worth the power consumption down to 17W TDP chips according to some interview anand did. Ergo on Air chips it wouldn't be worth it but the slightly higher TDP dual cores should come with edram options. Most likely all big GPU chips will come with edram on Broadwell.