rmbp 13" - does it lag at the highest scaled res?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nostalgia, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Nostalgia macrumors member

hey guys, quick question:

does the rmbp 13" (let´s say, the middle config) lag/stutter in any way when using the highest scaled resolution possible/"More space"??

Using it with normal stuff, for example, photoshopping, browsing, music, youtube, word, etc. ?

Thanks!

2. pj- macrumors member

If it does, I haven't noticed it. The default 'Best' resolution seems to be made for elderly people who don't want to accept that they need spectacles. Everything is ridiculously large and there's very little real estate.

I've had it set to 1680x1050 equivalent since day one and haven't had any problems. I mainly do web browsing, iphoto, and 2d gaming. I've tested a couple non-new 3d games at 1440x900 and they work fine as well.

3. HotPopsicle macrumors newbie

It absolutely does stutter in certain cases, but it probably won't make a difference in the apps you listed.

For example, mission control will stutter when it moves all the windows into view and when you select one. It's not a massive stutter, just a noticeable reduction in smoothness.

Whether is matters or not is subjective...

4. r0c macrumors newbie

r0c

I notice a slight stutter as well, not really a big deal but i know its there.
    Any tweaking that can be done to possibly reduce animations or get more out of the gpu ?

5. Nostalgia thread starter macrumors member

ah that sucks, hopping there was none.. is it however a hardware/gpu problem (that it´s not yet ready for retina display) or more of a software problem that can´t still take full advantage of the hardware to make it smooth at all times?

also, interested in the question r0c asked..

"Any tweaking that can be done to possibly reduce animations or get more out of the gpu ?"

thanks for the replies!

ps. other than mission control, how does the rest handle? and how bad is that lag? like real bad? like half the fps when doing that action, it actually freezes somewhat? how is it?

6. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

It's a software problem.
    Try putting it to to native res at 2560x1600 with a third party app and you will see it runs smooth as ***** :D
    Mission Control and everything runs like butter.
    But the software code how the scaling is done, is actually pretty ******.

7. aquablue macrumors member

Is this noticeable on the 15 rmbp too when browsing? How annoying is it? Does it happen on windows retina-style pc laptops too?

8. commac macrumors regular

I find it less annoying on the 15" then it was on the 13". Strangely there are time when the lag is gone and everything is buttery smooth. Very hard not to feel crazy but Im keeping the 15".

9. samh macrumors 6502

Seems like you'd want to Photoshop at native retina resolution since that's going to be the highest resolution 2560 x 1600 for the actual images.

10. richard371 macrumors 68000

The fix is to download RDM and use a Non HiDPI resolution. Don't use the one from the app store as it is limited in resolutions. I am using 1680x1050 which has resolved the slight lag issue. I put the app in my startup. I have done extensive testing with the hiDPI resolutions vs the non HiDPI resolutions and everything is much smoother just like it should be. Downside is some fonts may not be as sharp but I have to put my face about 6" away front he screen to see the difference.

11. Ai-apple macrumors regular

I just got 13" 2.8ghz with 16gb RAM and there is no lag issue with mine.

12. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

Man... 1680x1050 makes everything so much smaller! haha

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I'm on a 15" retina here, so it may/may not apply in your case.

Using GFXcardstatus, when on Intel Iris Pro 5200, it stutters when scrolling through my FB feed.

On NVIDIA GT750M, it's smooth as silk.

Same applies to large PDF files in Preview.

14. Nostalgia thread starter macrumors member

Oh so at native res it doesn´t lag at all? well makes sense since it doesn´t have to scale it down right? however, wouldn´t that look ridicolously small? :eek:

(in bold). i don´t understand, care to elaborate? RDM and Non HiDPI ??? just tell me how to, and i´ll simply do it ahahha. i´m just trying to find a way to fix the lag, i don´t mind having things small as long as i can at least see them and everything stays relatively sharp.

also, so you don´t experience any lag at 1680x1050, but what you´re telling me is that scaling it on the mac preferences its laggy but when using a 3rd app/hack it doesn´t lag? i´m confused.

thanks for all the replies!

15. teotuf macrumors member

HiDPI 1680x1050 means it renders at 3360x2100 and downscales to fit 1680x1050 on the 2560x1600 screen. Non-HiDPI means it renders natively at 1680x1050, and stretches it out to 2560x1600. You can achieve this by using SwitchResX (what I'm using), or numerous apps on to adjust resolution in the app store.

The downscaling in higher resolution HiDPI I think its what makes it lag. I can render on 2560x1600 and external 1080p screens without any lag, so it's definitely not a problem with rendering the sheer amount of pixels.

Currently I'm running 1920x1200 non-HiDPI on my haswell 13 because I prefer the screen estate. You can adjust it to 1650x1050 or lower if you have a hard time reading smaller texts.

16. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

I find it lags considerably on mission control and launchpad, and less so in revealing the desktop and swiping between screens. I can't see any lag in other scenarios, including apps in general and scrolling.

The lag is not bad enough to stop me running at 1680, which is how I have the mac configured at all times.

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

i tried this with switchresx and it still lagged ...

18. edfoo macrumors regular

Mine is 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, running in Best resolution mode. Any lag noticed in the following tasks so far?

Photoshopping - Can't comment as I don't use that program.

Browsing - No.

Music - No.

Youtube - No.

Word - No.

19. richard371, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

richard371 macrumors 68000

Download the simple RDM app from the link below, set it to run during startup. It will show up on the top right of the computer and you can play with the different resolutions to see what works best for you. Its the HiDPI resolutions that cause lag that many notice. If you don't use HiDPI the fonts are not quiet as sharp but you don't really have the lag issues. You can click on one of the items on the OPs test page and do some scroll comparisons. There is a difference.

Apple needs to figure out how to optimize the HiDPI to be smoother simple as that.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/87351306/RDM.tar.gz

20. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

I'm always running 'most space' option (1920x1200 HiDPI) on my 15" rMBP.

I'm only noticing the lag when I scroll in web browsers fast and opening my Application folder on the dock, the pop up box is a bit choppy, everything seems fine.

21. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

It doesn't happen on windows computers with Ultra HD resolutions. The problem is with Apple having not optimized OS X properly for their product before launching, and even still it's not fully optimized.

The rMBP lags on every resolution option. It is worse in some than others. If you were to grab the corner of a window, and resize it (make it smaller, or larger) and do that really quickly, you will see immediately the lag. If you compare it to a cMBP (old non-retina version) you will see that the cMBP does not lag whatsoever and it almost makes the rMBP look like it is the 3-4 year old machine. I was hoping Apple fixed the lag with Mavericks but they only made it slightly better

22. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Pushing the Iris 5100 to render things at 2560x1600 is taxing the system. It wasn't really designed to do this. Neither is the Iris Pro 5200 in my 15" rMBP.

That's why I always use GFXcardstatus to force it into GT750M whenever possible, unless I'm low on battery.

It doesn't lag on GT750M.

23. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Which model are you using? Your experience is almost 180° different then mine (2012 2.7/16/768--Mavericks). I use 1920x1200 99% of the time and the 'lag', scrolling jumps and glitches on ARS, TechCrunch, Facebook, as well as a couple of other 'busy' sites is essentially all but gone. Lion wasn't great. ML made a big improvement....Mavericks, IMHO has definitely squashed ANY & ALL lag issues (which were never half as bad as many will lead you to believe) have been dealt with in the OS itself
    I've noticed TechCrunch, ARS and others have 're'coded their sites for HiDPI displays. Again, IMO, that's where the 'issues' were. Heavy saturation and poor coding on the part of these developers of extremely busy websites. Tons of content. Lots of pics, video, Flash ads, etc. those are gone now and in a year....I'd say 90-95% of the apps I use from Adobe have ALSO been updated for high resolution support....as well as hundreds of others. It's been an amazing and FAST transition over the past year....as Windows is also stepping into the Hi.DPI arena. I'm hoping 2014 is that 'year'. Support for high resolution across the board (software) with their scaling code to match up with the working OS.
    Apple can only do so much. For so many years....we've been using half these pixels. Apple's initial pixel doubling effort was a major achievement regardless of what, again, some will lead you to believe. ML and Mavericks has bettered their scaling engine even more....there's TWO sides to EVERY story. The other side, the coders for apps, sites and software HAVE to get on board too or there will be clashes
    Mission control. Launch pad. Not sure where you're seeing frame drops or stutters but again, my year old rMBP is absolutely as fluent as I would like it to be. And usually I'm using the Intel 4000. A much lesser iGPU then the iris pro. I also use gfxCardStatus to force the 650 when I feel it'll help. In those cases, it handles troubled sites aplomb.
    I can't speak for the 13"--- but as well as mine is running on the 4000 typical for most workflow the 5100 is a helluva lot faster. I'm sure you'll be good to go
    With Photoshop though, I'd take a close look at the 15" and your finances though. The larger screen area is awesome when working through PS

Good luck
    J

24. zottelkind macrumors newbie

OP, I was asking myself this exact question.
    Went to the Apple Store and tried out the 13" and the 15" for a long time there.

The 13" definitely do lag. In fact, some animations are laggy even at the "Best for Retina" 1280x720 setting. For example switching back to a desktop with a bunch of webpages or programs open lags noticeably. Launch Pad is definitely not completely smooth.

The 15" barely lags at all. Sure, Mission Control while opening 20 programs isn't perfectly smooth (I tried), but apart from that, switching desktops, launch pad, scrolling. That's all smooth.

Regarding the scaled resolutions: on the 13" the lag very clearly gets worse the higher you go in resolution. 1440x900 is still fine, on 1680x1050 even other animations lag. Mission Control on the highest resolution on 13" is not very fun to use. Some people can't be bothered by this, but if you're like me, want to use 1680x1050 and UI and animation lag really annoys you, don't get the 13". You will notice it.

Don't listen to those who say there isn't any lag. Believe me, I wish there wasn't, but there is. I saw no difference between the high-end and low-end models. This is the reason I bought the 15" in the end.

25. Ai-apple macrumors regular

I have been using my new 13" i7 rMBP for the past 2 days and I have not noticed any UI and animation lag using 1680x1050. If there was one I did not notice. Everything animates so smoothly.