rMBP 13" (Haswell) gets very hot... is this normal? (and versus MBA?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sofakng, May 27, 2014.

1. sofakng macrumors regular

This weekend I was able to get an extremely good deal on a 13" rMBP (Haswell) but I already purchased an 11" MBA. The 11" MBA is able to be returned until tomorrow so I have to decide what I want to keep...

So far the rMBP is getting extremely warm/hot performing tasks such as importing photographs into iPhoto or downloading/copying files over Wifi. Is this normal?

Because I'm using this 90% of the time on my couch, I'm actually leaning towards keeping the MBA because it's so much lighter and doesn't have issues with scaled resolutions and gaming, etc, but I'd like to know if my rMBP actually has a problem.

I also tested the rMBP using the image retention test for 10 minutes and it did show faint image retention so I'm a little disappointed about that too...

2. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

The 13" runs hotter as the processor is a higher wattage(28W) compared to the MBA's ULV processor(15W), throw in the fact retina screen pushes the Intel IGP a fair bit you'll feel the heat.

Expecting temps from an ultrabook vs a notebook to be the same is unrealistic.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

Rmbp gets nice n hot. 10min chessboard test is kinda stupid since its nowhere near normal usage.

4. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

If you keep looking at the screen while doing the test you also get a small amount of image retention on your eyes.

Barney

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

:D i think thats most peoples problem.
    Just keep on starring at that screen :D

In any case: a ten minute screen woth a chessboard isnt a very usefull test.
    Thats y apple doesnt take them back if they have IR.