rmbp 13" - how well does 5100 perform in everyday tasks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nostalgia, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Nostalgia macrumors member

Hey guys,

Quick question,

Is there ANY lag and/or stuttering of any kind when browsing websites with a lot of photos/java/videos/gifs in the late 2013 rmbp 13" [let´s say, the middle configuration?]

^While also multitasking with other apps, lets say, chrome/safari with 10+ tabs, itunes playing, photoshop and word for example?

I´m asking because many reviews have reported in previous 13 rmbp editions, that lag and stuttering is very apparent, given the fact of the weak graphics card. Now, since iris 5100 provides a boost on that area, is it still noticable?

Like is scrolling on flickr or facebook silky smooth like, let´s say, a macbook air that doesn´t need the power for the retina?

Thank you!

2. RobobVT macrumors member

RobobVT

Facebook and image intensive sites are silky smooth for me, the only way to notice any lag is to open multiple tabs with flash enabled in all of them w/ads while watching twitch stream (which you shouldn't do for battery reasons anyway)

I have VLC, steam, XCom(minimized), mail, messenger, and safari with 5 tabs and everything is smooth as long as I use flash on as few tabs as possible and close safari while I game

3. Nostalgia thread starter macrumors member

Alright, good to know! thanks for the input

4. GoingDark macrumors 6502

I have Skype, Skydrive, Crashplan, iTunes, MS Excel, about 10 Safari tabs and 4 Chrome tabs open right now (I use Chrome for flash-only videos/sites and Safari for everything else) and no stuttering, lagging, or beach-balling whatsoever. I have the 13"/8GB/256GB retina Macbook Pro.

I will say that the computer does run into weird slowdown issues in the oddest places - sometimes I will have literally no apps open whatsoever and I'll get beach-balling just opening a folder in a Finder window - but I'm willing to blame Mavericks over the hardware since it seems to be totally random and not related to usage at all.

5. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

That's Mavericks. I have the late 2013 15" rMBP and when the Dock is set to the left or right of screen there is considerable lag, but when the Dock is set to the bottom - everything is silky smooth. I'm hoping 10.9.1 will fix a lot of the "jank".

6. Game64 macrumors member

I've run 3 monitors off it, all at 1080+. While working, coding, etc. never noticed any lag.