rMBP (13-inch 2014) slower than MBA (13-inch 2012)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harisn, Dec 2, 2014.

1. harisn macrumors newbie

harisn

I bought a new MacBook Pro Retina (13-inch) last month with a 256GB SSD. It came with Mavericks out of the box and on my first boot up, I upgraded it to Yosemite.

Now for some reason, it doesn't feel like a 'Pro' -- as in it feels sluggish, has jittery transitions/animations and everything feels slow. I wouldn't have noticed much, but coming from a MacBook Air (2012) with 4GB of RAM and using it for 2 years, this feels really slow. :confused:

My MBA still runs much faster and feels great overall with Yosemite, not the same with rMBP though. Both have OS X 10.10.1 with MBA having more apps installed and rMBP is still kinda new.

Any suggestions on how to fix this MacBook Pro?

2. ChrisDB macrumors member

ChrisDB

Return it ! Macbook Pro with retina have this problem since 2012 and apple still haven't fixed it . It's a shame that this scaling problem is making this laptop so slow .

Or you can install windows .

3. harisn thread starter macrumors newbie

harisn

Scaling problem?

4. ChrisDB macrumors member

ChrisDB

Yes , retina display scale the resolution and that's causing lag .

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Not seeing this issue at all.

6. ChrisDB macrumors member

ChrisDB

The issue is on every mac with retina even on the new iMac 5k !

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Not seeing it !

8. ChrisDB macrumors member

ChrisDB

9. harisn thread starter macrumors newbie

harisn

So I'm not the only one with this issue. Check this video: http://youtu.be/WKzdnm9bHTI

Someone else is going through the same. I just hope Apple gets out a fix soon for this! :(

10. ChrisDB, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014

ChrisDB macrumors member

ChrisDB

This issue is since 2012 . I think apple will just wait until hardware catch up with retina resolution or maybe can fix it with a software update , because this bug is also on new retina iMac .

11. SuperCop macrumors newbie

I would suggest trying a fresh usb install here. If you did the typical "software" update route, no matter how many times it goes through quality control, nothing beats a fresh OS install.

12. prism macrumors 6502a

This happened to mine right after installing Yosemite and it gets unbearble at times. Probably Jony boy's eye candy contribution to the OS. Very disappointed.

13. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I see what you did there. ;)

----------

My rMBP runs fine on the Iris Pro chip. The on,y time I see bad UI lag is when Chrome is running for some reason. Other than that, can't complain.

14. prism macrumors 6502a

Yup, i also saw it on the 5k beast so those claiming they dont see it are either blind as a bat or dont understand the issue.

15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I understand it .....

...... I just don't care. I am used to it and the fantastic screen more than makes up for the occasional stutter on the UI.

16. prism macrumors 6502a

Fair enough, but what annoys me is that things were way more fluid on Mavericks so I had best of both worlds: retina and great OS. Now the OS experience is truly inferior.

17. blooperz macrumors 6502

Do a clean install of Yosemite...problem solved...issue has been discussed in many threads. I'm assuming you did an app store upgrade of Yosemite. If you've already done a 'clean' install then I'm not sure why you're having issues but this is a very common issue for people that upgraded through the app store.

18. prism macrumors 6502a

I did a clean instal when switching from Mavericks to Yosemite and, as I mentioned earlier, I saw the same jitteriness on the 5k imac!

19. blooperz macrumors 6502

Definitely not seeing anything noticeable on mine...seems to affect some systems while others go untouched...I'm very picky about these sorts of things if it was there I would have noticed it by now. (rmbP late 2013 15" w/ 750m)

20. dgbarar macrumors regular

dgbarar

I would like to add my comments to differences between my 15" late 2013 MBP and my early 2014 11" MBA.

I believe that Yosemite runs much better on the 11" MBA than on 2013 rMBP for the following reasons:

- No WiFi Disconnects on Air. Still see them on the rMBP
    - New MS Outlook always maintains connections with servers on MBA. Not so with on the rMBP. I am always having to enter passwords.
    - Issues with ejecting a mounted drive on the rMBP. Never on the Air.
    - Issues with screen coming back after short sleep on the rMBP (also was present on Mavericks). Never have had this issue on the Air.

I would say that for less than half the price of the rMBP, the MBA is better and less buggy computer.

Don

21. Queen6, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

2.8Ghz 512Gb 13" RMBP, same new updated directly to Yosemite, no issues at all, everything is super smooth no complaints, running marginally smoother than my 2012 2.3Ghz 256Gb 15" RMBP (Intel GPU), equally SSD is faster on the 13" so far very impressed with the 13" Retina

Q-6

22. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Or they run their display at the native resolution.

I now understand why I don't see the problem. I run my 15" rMBP at 2880x1800.

23. harisn thread starter macrumors newbie

harisn

I'm still hoping a software update (OS X 10.10.2) would fix the issues.

24. Wickedness, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014

Wickedness macrumors newbie

This isn't a problem with computational performance per se. Yosemite has purposefully slowed down animations for some UI transitions; this is a design choice just like how there are slower home screen animations in iOS7 & 8. The slower animation in the "About My Mac" window is evident on my machine as well (rMBP late-2013).

If I were you I would just try to get used to it. I honestly don't think you'll spend too many hours of your time transitioning between tabs on "About My Mac." The machine is blazing fast for everything else just like how Queen 6 noted.

EDIT: I do think it's true that retina scaling affects the smoothness of other UI animations, especially the expose/mission control animation. The expose animation is visibly choppy on the retina screen, but when I close the laptop and use only my connected Thunderbolt Display which does not need scaling, the animation is buttery smooth. This has been an issue ever since the first retina machines came out IMO. I used to own a MacBook Air, and the Airs had no such framerate stuttering even with the inferior HD 5000. This issue is still not something that would make me choose a MacBook Air over a MacBook Pro.

EDIT 2: BTW, the animation frame rate issues existed in both Mavericks and Yosemite on my machine.

25. xMacFeinx macrumors newbie

xMacFeinx

Sorry to hear you're having performance issues. I'm running a 2014 13" MacBook Pro 128GB HD and 8GB of Ram. No lag issues here, no issues with transitions or anything of the such.

One point I do want to make is I'm having some sporadic issues with Wifi. It'll either connect and boot me off, or connect and run extremely slow. Other than that I'm loving this laptop. If you're having issues, contact an Apple store or return it and purchase a replacement. Apple probably won't fight you on doing that.

-MacFein