rMBP 13 inch battery replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by unbelievable99, Dec 31, 2012.

1. unbelievable99 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

When my battery in m rMBP 13 inch finally needs to be replaced (after around 1000 cycles) will apple replace it under applecare. And if there is no applecare will they replace it for a cost? Or do they refuse to replace it at all on an rMBP 13 inch after the 1000 cycles?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple only replaces batteries free if they are covered by warranty/AppleCare and are found to be defective. One indication of a defective battery is if it fails to retain up to 80% of its original capacity for up to 1000 cycles. If you're past 1000 cycles, it's not considered defective. Batteries are consumable items and will deplete through normal use. Unless it's defective, Apple will replace the battery at your cost.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. unbelievable99 thread starter macrumors member

So what I understand from you and the link you gave me is that apple do replace batteries after they need replacing by normal usage, but for a charge. Correct?
    Thanks

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's correct.

5. Barna Biro, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012

Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Seriously? I've ordered mine right when it was launched and it shows that it has 19 cycles now ( it's true I got it later since it was a CTO ). I use it all day, every day ( it's my main machine ) and I do carry it around with me each working day ( 5 times a week ). It's also true that whenever I'm home, I always have it plugged in... but man, 1000 charges already? ( released ~2 months ago ) That's just insane... may I ask what on Earth are you doing with it?

So what, you've been charging it like 20+ times each day to get to that number so soon? Wtf? :D

PS: Are you sure you didn't misread the number and it's in fact 100 cycles? That's more plausible...

6. kage207 macrumors 6502a

The OP didn't say the battery has been used up, the OP was asking what happens when you hit that 1000 cycle mark.

7. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I thought the same thing when I first read the post. Turns out that he's just asking what happens after his computer hits that mark. He's not there yet my good sir.

8. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Ahh, indeed... I read it again and it does sound differently this time around :D
    I somehow totally missed the first word from the sentence: "When"
    My bad, sorry and thanks guys :p