rMBP 13" Only one fan?

Burch

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
I was watching Netflix and I noticed that the fans were really loud, and they don't normally go that loud. So, I decided to download smcFanControl. I come to find out that my 13" rMBP only has 1 fan working, the right one. I thought that it might have been a bug on the application or some screw up, but I downloaded iStat Pro and it said the same thing. My question is, is this a defect with my rMBP or does the 13 inch only have one fan? I don't really think that Apple would have such a high end laptop only have one fan. So, what should I do? Thanks in advance!

Here are some screenshots to show you:
http://imgur.com/KN3r21q
http://imgur.com/U40YKol

Last edited:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
The small size and cramped quarters of the enclosure means apple could only squeeze in a single fan.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
It may only have 1 fan but it's a little workhorse. If ever my temps get up to higher than 75C I just put it on Medium (iStat) and they come right down to the 60's in a minute and I care barely hear it.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
The small size and cramped quarters of the enclosure means apple could only squeeze in a single fan.
The fanboys always in defense of Apple. The last gen with the 35W CPU had two fans and it was basically the same size.
They didn't because the 28W U chip is just very cool. It is an ultrabook chip and not the standard notebook 35W+ CPU that the 13" MBP had for so long.

robE89

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
Well, you can say that it's an normal laptop chip since it has better perf than the last year model which had an "-m" chip.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
The fanboys always in defense of Apple. The last gen with the 35W CPU had two fans and it was basically the same size.
They didn't because the 28W U chip is just very cool. It is an ultrabook chip and not the standard notebook 35W+ CPU that the 13" MBP had for so long.
Wow. Was about to counter your post - but I'll be damned...they are using an ULV CPU in the Pro line now. Very disappointing. I wonder how long before this will be found in the 15".
Well, you can say that it's an normal laptop chip since it has better perf than the last year model which had an "-m" chip.
They are of different architectures, so not a good comparison for Mobile/ULV CPU.

robE89

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
rMBP 13" Only one fan?

Its not an ulv chip...it's a low voltage chip, not the same thing :) and i don't see any ~25w ivy bridge chips, only 17w and 35w so dunno what to say. From what i've read there isnt any 35w chip with iris gpu so i guess apple went with a good cpu power and igpu balance :)

Last edited:

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
Its not an ulv chip...it's a low voltage chip, not the same thing :) and i don't see any ~25w ivy bridge chips, only 17w and 35w so dunno what to say. From what i've read there isnt any 35w chip with iris gpu so i guess apple went with a good cpu power and igpu balance :)
Ah. Too many changes. I'm getting too old to keep up. Thanks for the correction.