rMBP 13 or 15 as secondary PC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Storaro, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Storaro macrumors newbie

I already have a desktop PC, which I upgrade regularly for gaming.
    So basically my question is whether there is any reason to go for the 15 inch rather the 13 when I am not looking for desktop replacement?

I know the question sounds lame, but it is my first Mac, and actually first laptop. I need it for work and for entertainment when I travel. I do not plan on playing games on it and my work does not need more than much power, but I do not mind getting more than I need.

I am getting a great deal on all standard models, so the price is not a factor here, hence my question. If it were, I would get the 13 inch. But in this care, what would you do?

2. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

13" would perfectly suit you. Its CPU performance of course will be less than 1/2 of your gaming PC but it gives enough battery life for travel. For the tasks that you're doing, 15" would be overkill though, but if you need to be as light and have as much battery life as possible, MBA 13" is perfect.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go with a 13" over the 15" given that its a secondary machine.

4. SympathyRS macrumors newbie

SympathyRS

I personally use my 15" rMBP as a secondary PC, I like the compute performance and I think the battery life is reasonable. But your mileage may vary, but nevertheless I am sure you will be happy with either one.

5. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

I use a 13" rMBP for my 2nd machine.

It works great and the battery lasts a long time.

The only issue is if you have to do a lot of "fine" work that needs a larger screen. Sometimes editing big documents or spreadsheets is a drag with the smaller screen real estate, but it is good enough for most things.

R

6. Samtb macrumors 65816

Which storage capacity do you use?

7. ApoorvPrem macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

Get the 13 inch pro.

Throw in a bigger SSD and 16Gb ram. And voila! You are all set.

8. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

It is in my signature - 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD.

I use FreeFileSync to sync up my document drives between computers. Works perfectly!

R